Anyone else split between the Retina and the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by intervenient, Jun 11, 2012.

  1. intervenient macrumors 6502a

    Jul 9, 2010
    The Air checks off more boxes for me than the Retina...but the screen on the Retina almost makes up for all those boxes.

    My biggest fear is to go with the 13 inch Air, only to have a 13 inch Retina Pro come out in a year or so. I want to get rid of my 11 inch, base model 2010er, but don't want to if I'd turn around and sell the 13 to get the Retina.

  2. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2010
    I would hold out and see just how practical/usable the retina is on a PC and how exactly it's all implemented before you make the call.

    -a guy who just ordered a retina
  3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040


    Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    But that still leaves you with a full year of using a really great MBA.
  4. AirThis macrumors 6502a

    Mar 6, 2012
    Personally, I think I'll stay away from the retina even if it seems appealing. I prefer the lighter and smaller form factor of the air. And the price on that retina seems a bit least to me.
  5. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816


    Jan 17, 2009
    Nope, i came from a quad 15" to a air. The weight of the laptop+books killed me. 2.9 to 4.5 is still a substantial jump no matter which way you look at it.
  6. JSalig macrumors 6502

    Oct 30, 2010
    Not really. I already updated my ipad because of retina. For me to also pay $2200 just for the sake of having a laptop with a retina screen would be taking things too far. I'd only consider it if I could get a really good deal on it. But even then, it would be more of a luxury item as I plan to keep my 13" MBA.
  7. Kyllle macrumors 6502

    Apr 25, 2011
    Yeah I Know the 13" air will suit me just fine, but I was really hoping for it to be retina. I won't have the money for the retina mbp for about a month though, so I'm planning on buying the air through best buy (30-day returns) then if I still want the retina mbp once I have enough money, I'll return the air and buy the pro through apple with the student discount.

    I might as well just go with the previous gen air, as the new one is barely any better, except that the old one is actually more expensive haha.
  8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040


    Sep 29, 2005
    Sounds like you probably shouldn't be buying a $2-2.5k computer when a far cheaper one would do.
  9. Kyllle macrumors 6502

    Apr 25, 2011
    I shouldn't :rolleyes:
    And I probably won't, but this way I'll have the option in case I change my mind.
  10. Spoonz macrumors member

    May 16, 2012
    Just too expensive for me at the moment, even with education discount. Even if I was made of money though, I'm not sure if I'd go for the Retina Pro - I like having something portable which makes a light 13" laptop perfect. I'm thinking I'll get the 2012 Air and upgrade whenever/if ever Retina comes to the Airs.
  11. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 6, 2008
    Downtown San Diego
    The biggest problem with the retina to me is that without resolution independence in the OS pragmatically speaking the 15" has the same desktop space as the 13" MBA when scaled natively taking advantage of HIDP (ie. it's quadruple 1440 x 900). See:

    So you can scale to a larger desktop but there are going to be some interpolation issues, because you're essentially scaling down from 2880 x 1800. As great at retina is, it's too bad they couldn't have kicked it up even higher to double 1680 x 1050 (3360 x 2100), which would put it at a native HIDP desktop sizing in comparable to the regular high resolution 15 macbook pro.

    Of course if you're doing photo/video editing or the like all bets are off and I'm sure Retina is a game changer for that kind of work, and if the graphics card was substantially more powerful more graphically intensive games would be unbelievable.

Share This Page