Anyone else still unsatisfied with their 6+ case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cnick6, Oct 9, 2014.

1. cnick6, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

cnick6 macrumors regular

cnick6

Bear with me as this is a long post. So far, I've tried the following cases for my iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey model:

Apple Leather - Brown
    Nice quality but too slippery for my taste

Apple Silicone - Lime
    The best case so far... excellent feel and buttons; would *love* this same case but with complete side coverage

UAG Armor Gear - White
    Decent case but a little bulky; the style left me wanting; pricey

Incipio DualPro - Lime Charcoal
    My 2nd favorite but they really screwed up the wake button; color choice not great; could overlook button issue with better color choices

i-Blason ArmorBox - Lime Green
    Full coverage case but cheap plastic; very usable but lacks quality feel; front camera/speaker design changed which looks weird; adds weight

Spigen Thin Fit - Gunmetal
    Definitely a minimalist case but offers very little protection; slippery sucker

Spigen Neo Hybrid - Yellow
    My 3rd favorite; minimal case design but not sure about long-term survival; buttons required stabilizers to function; not a fan of the bumper design but it looks clean and feels good; Yellow is my fave color but no one is using it!

I've seen a few more cases in the works but nothing is really exciting to me and some of the colors are just plain hideous! What gives with the wild colors?

I had several cases for my ex-iPhone 5S but only found my ideal case a few months before selling it. I loved the thermoplastic Magpul case in orange. It was a *really* tough case and looked great. It felt great too. Didn't think it would impress me but it really was perfect. I'm hoping they are making cases for the iPhone 6 Plus.

Looking for the Otterbox Symmetry and Gumdrop DropTech cases.

Still searching... :cool:

PS. Here are the weights of the above cases:

Code:
    iPhone 6+ with no case    == 6.1 oz
    iPhone 6+ with DualPro    == 8.0 oz
    iPhone 6+ with i-Blason   == 8.7 oz
    iPhone 6+ with Silicone   == 7.0 oz
    iPhone 6+ with Leather    == 6.8 oz
    iPhone 6+ with UAG        == 7.8 oz
    iPhone 6+ with Neo Hybrid == 7.3 oz
    iPhone 6+ with Thin Fit   == 7.0 oz

Cheers!
    -Nick

2. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

Im wondering whats taking Incase so long... they're usually very quick to have their cases available with the iPhone launches... their slider cases are usually great too...

3. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Spigen - iPhone 6Plus Thin Fit A - Slim
    Item model number: SGP10889

This thing was tough to simply just slide "on" easily. It's a matte finish so the handling comfort is good. Now trying to remove it feels like torture on the iPhone & might have to cut the buttons area to do so. :confused:

4. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

Nah it's not that tight. Just take it off around the corners and you'll be fine. It's OK case but just no protection except scratches on the back.

----------

I'm going to try the BodyGlove Satin in Blue and the Tech21 Smokey next.

5. 55test55 macrumors 6502

I'm a little annoyed that the 6+ has almost zero quality case options even though the 6 does.

6. arliu macrumors regular

If you're going to try all those might as well try the power support air jacket

7. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

My comments on the Tech21 case are here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20058593&postcount=25

----------

I'm not sure I'm a fan of these soft cases. Also, it doesn't look like the air jacket is that protective.

I'll wait a bit and see how the Body Glove case works.

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I have the red silicone case and love it, but I do want to find a good lower profile case because a bright red case isn't appropriate for every situation.

What I would love is something just thick enough to protect the camera (I've heard that this is about .08mm to 1mm thick), and in all other respects is like the grey Shumuri case: Four side coverage, doesn't cover the curves of the screen, grey transparent to darken the space grey but still show the back of the case, and adds grip.

I doubt anyone is making a case like this. I may end up just going for a Shumuri or a Caudabe Veil (I know it doesn't cover the bottom but that may be an asset on a case that thin for taking it off) and only using it when I need my phone to have a lower profile. The other option is the black Apple leather case, although that is pricey for a case that isn't my daily driver.

9. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

Leather case was a great fit; slim, with great button responsiveness, but not protective enough IMO, and it left the bottom exposed.

Incipio DualPro Shine was much better; sturdy, but a little slippery, and button responsiveness wasn't the greatest. Also a pain to remove in my experience.

Pelican Protector has been the best so far; sturdy, decent button responsiveness, and not as slippery as Incipio's DualPro Shine.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Tech21 Impact Check case to check that out as well.

But the one case I'm keeping for certain is the Speck CandyShell Grip once it's released for the 6 Plus.

10. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Yeah I feel the same - the apple leather was good, but £39 is just... well mental.

So that went back, tried naked with a sleeve/pouch but found that annoying. I got a phone-case-shop special for a £10 with a bottom flip, which again I liked, but found annoying.

Now I'm on an amazon special (basically a rip off of the pinlo slice ultra thin case).

It's ok, absolutely zero drop protection (but i have insurance for that). It covers the back and it cost £2.99 - so I bought 2, and at least you get protection when you put it down on a table etc.

All of this is just temporary until quadlock release the 6+ integrated case - full protection + a front facing lip too.

Still looking at screen protection - any suggestions?

Sometimes I think the only way to judge these things is to become a youtube reviewer and get shed loads of cases sent to you for free. It's very difficult to get it right.

11. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I know what you're saying but I'm telling you it really tight, barely able to pull an edge 1mm back! I've had my exp with other cases on my iPhone 4 so I know the difference ;)

12. Dubberton macrumors regular

Yeah I'm thinking they just need more time. Every factory is probably pooping out 6 cases because either the schematics got out earlier for that phone or it was expected to be more profitable.

----------

Yeah I'm using the same one for now and it's definitely the hardest case I've ever had to get off. I don't pull the edges back but I push the case off the phone starting with the top right side. Then it makes it easier to pop off.

13. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

Yeah I've got my eye on it too but not crazy about the lame color choices. The white is OK but it kind of ruins the Space Grey.

----------

I'm using the iCarez HD Clear and it's fine. It went on fairly painlessly and seems to work good. It wipes off easy which is nice.

I have the iCarez HD Glare on order. I'm not sure I'll like the Matte finish but I'm going to give it a try. I would like punchy color as long as the Matte doesn't ruin the overall experience.

Haven't seen or heard of any "good" Glas products yet. The iloome screenmate is full-screen coverage but won't work with a lot of cases, including the Apple cases. So it's only good for naked phones.

14. AE14 macrumors 65816

AE14

Just got the black incipio NGP for the 6+. Awesome...returning the leather case as a result. Good fit and feel and it works with my ocd about the size of the camera opening.

15. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

Yes it does look nice. It's more of a rigid case too than the softer gel-type cases. How is the power/wake button? Does it have that nice clicky sound or is it more of a dull press?

16. AE14 macrumors 65816

AE14

Very responsive. I am quite pleasantly surprised since it is only a $20 case

17. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

Just got the Tech21 Impact Check case from Best Buy. I definitely like it, but I'm concerned about the screen protection, seeing as there's barely any lip... Anyone else with this case want to chime in on this? Has anyone dropped their phone and the screen came out unscathed?

I also got the Griffin Survivor All-terrain for when I'm in conditions that require me to use a rugged case (gym, outdoors, etc.). Love the all-around protection, except it does add a lot of bulk, the screen protector diminishes the quality of the screen, and the front-facing camera has some definite glare issues (the back camera not so much, surprisingly).

18. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

I wasn't concerned by the lip at all. I was more concerned about the sides. I kept picking it up on the side of the phone and the case kept coming off.

Probably going to take it back to Best Buy here in a couple of days.

19. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

Interesting... Mine stays on just fine. You might have a defective case!

What are you going to get to replace it?

20. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Spigen ultra hybrid in clear
    Rearth Ringke Fusion in clear
    Both are thin and bumpers are soft and grippy. The lens protrusion is below the case line as well. Both back and front have a lift that keeps it raised. I love both of them! Being clear, they don't hide the beauty of the phone.

21. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

I didn't say that it falls off. I'm saying that the sides at the mid-point are soft and are not rigid like other cases.

My Apple Silicone case doesn't have this problem. (The Tech21 sides do not grip as much as the Apple cases.)

22. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know what you mean. But that's a downside to soft TPU-like cases.

Patiently waiting for Speck.......

23. Angel841 macrumors member

Currently have 3 cases and I am in the same situation as you. Still searching for one that I truly like.
    Modal reversible folio case: it's good but it makes the phone feel bigger. The case has magnets. You can use the phone in landscape with this case but since there aren't many apps updated, it's kind of useless.

Insignia silicone : I just bought it because my phone came sooner(on sept 22) than expected and was waiting for spigen to ship my Neo hybrid. I don't like it. It's pretty basic.

Spigen Neo hybrid yellow:for me, this case was the best for the iPhone 5, so I thought it will be good with the 6 plus but no. First the case need the stabilizers for the buttons to work correctly and it's kind of loose on the side. The one for the iPhone 5 have a perfect tight fit.

I think I will try the apple silicone case. Many people like you say it's the best one right now.

24. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I have the Speck CandyShell Grip (white) on my iPhone 6 now and it's an awesome case. And that's coming from someone who hates cases that are not of the Incase Snap form factor. I am planning on getting one for my 6+ whenever it comes out. As well, I plan on picking up a Pelican Protector to compare.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the Apple Leather case and I'm satisfied with that, though the its only there as a place holder. To protect the phone until I get a better case. Hopefully tomorrow my Spigen slim armor case arrives.