Anyone else still using their 2012 non-retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johannnn, Mar 11, 2018.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Back in the days I got the 2012 base model 13" non-retina MBP. Upgraded the RAM to 16GB myself, and changed the 4200rpm drive to an SSD. I'm just a casual user, but this machine is still really fast for me, running High Sierra without any problems at all. It's quite heavy, but I mostly use it at home on a desk anyway. Last year I got the 27" iMac with SSD, but now I'm contemplating whether to actually sell the iMac. The iMac screen is definitely light-years ahead of 2012 MBP, but I favor speed over screen resolution and I guess an SSD is enough for me regardless of the machine. I don't spend much time with Macs anymore (iOS is slowly taking over my life), and only booting the Mac when some workflow is too irritating on iOS. I guess the Intel HD 4000 can't even run games from the 90s, but I don't play games anyway.
    I always buy the latest iPhone on launch day, and I used to buy the latest Mac every year as well, but now the role of the Mac is really diminishing for me.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

edit: and it has a keyboard that doesn't stop working from a breadcrumb.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The 2012 that you have remains a very usable computer.
    You don't need our approval to keep using it.

I have a 2010 MBP that I still boot and use occasionally (I keep the battery maintained).
    With an SSD, still runs fine.
    I'll bet yours runs even better.

3. esk macrumors member

I'm still using my 2011 MacBook Pro. I love that machine.

4. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Still using a 2012 15 inch MBP non retina works great on Sierra with SSD

5. chabig macrumors 603

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that's very usable, though I replaced the HDD with an SSD.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

The biggest issue I have with my 2012 is the screen. Other than the screen it works great. But, once you go retina, you cannot unsee the difference.

7. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I have a mid-2012 with the "Hi Resoluteion" (1680x1050) screen and I love it. 15.4", 16 GB RAM, SSD, i7 2.6 Ghz. I have yet to find any reason to buy a newer one, and believe me, I've tried. Yes, it looks a bit dated (but I still love the looks) but it has a great keyboard, is still quick, and the screen is just fine for my going-downhill-eyes. And (though I haven't used it in years) I still have the DVD drive, and the SD card slot I use occasionally. And I have seen the retina, but it isn't enough difference for me- I'm still fine with my 2011 Macbook Air, for crying out loud.

8. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

9. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

Still rocking my id 2012 15" MBP. Waiting for a better GPU experience in 2018, if not I will head over to Windows. Sadly I'm on the road a lot more and enjoy a little gaming with my kids as it keeps us all connected. So here's hoping for an upgrade in 2018. I know over the next few months many vendors will be coming out with some refreshes, and if this new intel/AMD collaboration works out I will be looking forward to some more GPU power in these new smaller systems. (Please be gentle on me for the whole pc thing)

10. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

I have a 2012 13 inch i7 2.9GHZ 16GB that I recently upgraded with a 1TB SSD and 1TB 7200rpm HDD. I use this little gem from time to time as it is still relatively fast and capable machine. :)

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Still use my 2010 MBP. Sound doesn't work. Red light in the microphone jack that after trying every known fix is still not working.

12. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

Still use 2011 high res version with SSD. Get to use OS and that is the main reason I like Apple.