Anyone else struggle with readability on the 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NutsNGum, Jul 1, 2012.

1. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'll just preface this by saying that I've got a 17" MBP and the PPI of this is 133 vs the 135 of the 11". However, I've noticed whenever I've been using the 11" that the text, to me, is very difficult to concentrate on.

When I bought the machine, I added the macrumors color profile, and whilst this definitely made the colour reproduction much better, the text was still quite a challenge at a normal viewing distance.

I do not have this problem whatsoever with the MacBook Pro.

Does anyone else notice this? Is it a contrast issue?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have an 11" and 13". I only use the 11" in small spurts b.c of this. I have really good vision too

3. InfiniteDeath macrumors newbie

You need to take some time to get used to it.

4. hempcamp macrumors member

Two finger double-tap will auto-size the text area you're reading for the window, and it is super crisp with the high pixel density of the 11". It's lovely for reading.

I have no problem with readability at all. It takes a little more getting used to the various trackpad shortcuts to make best use of space (swiping between full-screen apps, double-finger tapping to resize, etc), but readability is outstanding.

At first I was a hard core skeptic about the smaller screen size (despite being a PowerBook 12" lover), but I think I'm so used to the swiping/fullscreen apps now (from iPad use) that getting used to the 11" has been a very easy transition. Couldn't be happier.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Definitely something to consider. I hate using full screen for anything...even watching a movie on my Mac so that is why I only use the 11" in certain circumstances.

6. NutsNGum thread starter macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's not the case. As I said, the issue is not in the size of the text, it is in the readability of it. I believe the problem is that the contrast is poor, certainly on the panel that I had in mine, as -- as I mentioned previously -- the machine I currently use has an almost identical PPI. And it was not an issue that I could fix with a colour profile alteration.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

You should read the threads about lg vs Samsung...bet that is the issue

8. NutsNGum thread starter macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Most likely Matt, I've had 11" Airs with both panels. The Samsung on my 2011 11" was no problem to read from, but the most recent one, which was an LG, just exhausted my eyes after an hour or so.

9. Nychot macrumors 6502a

10. Yawn66 macrumors member

IMHO it's a display quality issue. My 11" MBA came with a Samsung display so it's supposed to have the better display. Nevertheless, my 2010 hi-res (glossy) 15" MBP displays text much nicer and is easier on my eyes. My guess is it's simply that the 11" MBA display isn't quite as good as the (more expensive) MBP displays.