Anyone else stuck waiting 2-4 weeks for 2TB Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dizmonk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dizmonk macrumors regular

So as I mentioned before I returned the 27" i5 getting the 21.5 i7. I really want a 2TB drive since I have a lot of TV series on the drive. I'm somewhat patiently waiting :rolleyes: with an estimated delivery date of Jan.5-18th. Is there anyone else in this boat? Has your estimated delivery date changed at all since you made the order? Thanks.

I knew what I was getting into... but it's still frustrating.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

What else would you expect at this time of year, for a custom built (2TB HDD) iMac?

3. Tonecrafter macrumors member

With the flooding in Taiwan... this is to be expected I would think.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It's due to the Thai floods destroying most of the HDD fabrication facilities on the planet, if you want any sort of high-capacity hard drive, you're likely to be waiting quite a while.

Why not just get a small 1TB external to hold all your TV shows and such? Saves them from clogging up the main drive.

----------

Thailand.

5. Tonecrafter macrumors member

I must have been mistaking for this... http://redfoxcomputers.ca/?p=252

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You'd think an online news source would get their facts straight before publishing a piece on it.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Facepalm

8. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

what's weird is that when I look at my order it still says2-4 weeks but if I go to build the same computer - the wait time is 1-3 weeks....:confused::confused::confused:

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Sorry man! Maybe I should get my facts straight.

:eek:

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No stress.

12. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone who ordered a 2TB drive since the Thailand flooding, has your Imac arrived yet?

I'm on about 3 weeks with an estimated delivery date of Dec. 29 - Jan 12...:(:(

Definitely testing my patience.

13. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

so NO one on this board other than me ordered a 2 TB drive?

I can't imagine that this significant delay hasn't affected sales. I'm determined to get the biggest HD available. What I'm confused about is whether or not anyone else on this board has ordered a 2TB since the floods. I have to imagine that the answer is yes since it is the holiday season and the HD is not upgradeable.

I'm still waiting and we're on 3 weeks. :(:(

14. whjoyjr, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

whjoyjr macrumors newbie

I was thinking on ordering a BTO with the dual drive configuration (plus processor bump, graphics card bump), but elected to get a refurd instead, so no lost sale there. It was a no brainer going from $3k to $1800 for a machine that is close to the specs I desired.

I subscribed to the Needs / Wants / Nice to Have method for making that decision. I NEEDED a new Mac since my current Mini was choking on the 1080P camcorder files I was importing and encoding. I WANTED a machine that would last as long as possible. It would have been NICE TO HAVE the SSD and big spindle drive with the premium processor and graphics card. So, when it came time to order, the refurb was selected.

Your machine will be a beast when you get it. With all good things, sometimes it just takes time. The spindle drive supply chain has not yet recovered. It may get worse before it gets better...