Anyone else terribly disappointed by "app organization?"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by someone28624, Sep 10, 2009.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I was really hoping "App Organization" would mean being able to group apps into groups versus still needing to scroll through 10 pages of apps to find the app I want. I wanted more than just an emulated version on my screen in iTunes.

2. bdavis89 macrumors regular

lol, this is one reason why i'm considering the jump to zune hd. I HATE dragging my apps from page to page. I like having a game page, a utilities page, etc, and i have to reshuffle everything when i add one new app. I wish you could create folders, etc to easily do this, but apple likes their dumb pages...

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Lets just say its a big step in the right direction. It is only really helpful when 3.1 or iTunes 9 bricks your device and it needs a reset.

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You could scroll left one page from the homepage and use the built-in search. :D

But I understand wanting to develop muscle memory and always click the same spot for an app.

I don't think that "no apps" is quite the solution to the "hating to drag apps" problem ... :p

Do you really have to reshuffle everything though? Just drag the one app to the page you want your apps on ...

5. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Is a nice small addition. Works pretty much like what I expected it to. So nope, I'm not terribly disappointed.

6. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Yes but if you have pages which are full, with no gaps, when you move a new app to that page, it will kick one to the next page, and the next page will have to kick one off as well etc. which could be really annoying if you have lots of full pages of apps.

7. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Disappointed? Hardly. You can drag multiple apps around at once, you can drag directly to a page instead of having to scroll through them all, you can drag pages themselves around, if you mess things up too much you can just cancel it, etc. It's way better than doing it on the device.

That's not how it works. Did you even try it?

--Eric

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The easiest way would be to allow the bottom springboard on the iphone to harbour more icons and slide independently of the main page allowing apps to be added to it then moving to the page you want and moving the apps from the springboard to the new page.

No need for more bloat in iTunes.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I haven't gotten to try it, I pick my laptop up today at the apple store. But I can't wait, everyhing is a disaster from my 3.0 upgrade. My nice neat 2 pages of "my" stuff is spread across 3 now, the nicely organized games I had for the kids, mucked across multiple pages.

I'm hoping to have some order again. Hopefully by tonight.... Unless they replaced my hard drive. Then by tomorrow!

But it can't possibly be worse, at least new apps might get an icon showing up instead of me havingto search for them. Heck. I could not figure out where yahoo went.... Oh silly me for searching on yahoo, y wasn't on my radar. Ugh.

So I'm looking forward to having something over nothing!

11. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 80 apps. If I want to get to a game, I like, I need to scroll through like 6 or 7 pages of apps. I wanna be able to click "games" from main home page and then may have 2 pages tops to scroll through.

12. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Jailbreak it and install "Categories"

13. brendu macrumors 68020

apple is supposed to be working on a better way for app organization in their next build of the iphone/itouch software... not sure where i read this but i do recall reading about it recently...

the zuneHD and Zii Egg should push apple to get this out sooner rather than later, but neither platform will be able to actually take a bite out of the big old apple.

14. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

15. pooryou macrumors 65816

I wish the pages of apps could scroll vertically so you could just have one page for each category with as many items as needed.

I honestly can't think of any arguments against such an implementation. It could be optional.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love it but I wish it would allow us to see all available pages at once instead of having to scroll.

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's nice, but has nothing to do with the topic, which is the "App Organization" feature in iTunes 9/OS 3.1, and whether you are disappointed by it or not. Do I think app handling on the device could be improved? Of course. Am I disappointed by "App Organization"? Not at all; it removes most of the pain of organizing bunches of apps. As long as we're stuck with the current method of accessing apps on the device, it's a nice feature and works well.

--Eric

18. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I could think of at least one. Perhaps Apple is reserving the up and down swipes for a different purpose in the future.

19. brendu macrumors 68020

that is how the Pre does it and i really like it, would love to see apple adopt the same setup.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You will have a long wait if you think the day will ever come when Apple will follow something that Palm introduced. :rolleyes:

I like the ability to organize using iTunes. Those little screens for drag/drop are easy to use and made reorganizing much faster. Finally, I have everything more or less just where I want it. :cool:

21. xinzhitan14 macrumors newbie

i am disappointed that everytime i try to rearrange my apps on itunes it crashes. I dont even have a lot of apps either. only somewhat 3 pages.

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's easier with a Zune since there aren't any apps at all. :D

23. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Yeah and I'm guessig the Zune has this.