Anyone else think blocking senders in Gmail is ridiculously tedious?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HarryPot, Mar 6, 2014.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Having to add an email to a filter is so time consuming. Why can't they just add a one click "Add to Block List" + Confirmation?

As it is right now, if you have multiple blocked addresses, you need to keep adding them to a single line space where after 3-4 it just becomes a PITA.

Blocking them in the Mac is so simple, yet those addresses blocked will still arrive to my iPhone if my Mac is off/sleeping.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just wondering if everyone suffers from this, or if I'm missing a simple solution.

2. localoid, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

In gmail, I always just create the filter from the message itself by clicking the "More" button, selecting "filter messages like these" and then "delete". Done.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

"Messages like these" seems awfully vague. I guess I'd want to know what exactly that means before I use it.

4. localoid, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's really not "vague" at all. It looks like this (pics, below). If you do this from the message (w/the address you want to block) then the "from" field is auto-inserted into the form. (Google help explains it here -- see section: "To use a particular message to create a filter")

Order is off in the screenshots below -- the last pic is the first step (choose filter msgs like this) -- the 1st pic is the 2nd step (from: filter) -- the 2nd pic is the third step (select: delete it).

Attached Files:

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Edit: I'm sorry I didn't read all of the text and looked directly at the pictures. I did not realize the last was the first. Never mind!

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I can't say blocking anybody on anything is my idea of fun.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Errr, did someone suggest that it was or should be?:confused:

8. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Didn't knew about that.:)

I tried it, and in some cases it does automatically adds just the email. In others it creates a list with some keywords.

It at leasts makes the process more straightforward. I think Google could easily improve it.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

When I use it -- _if_ the msg is from a email user and it's _not_ a listserver address, such as jblow@spammersinc.com, _then_ that email address is automatically pulled into the from field, etc.

On the other hand, _if_ the message comes for a listserver, like Mailman, _then_ the filter uses "keywords" and the "has the words" field rather than just inserting the email address into the "from" field.

Does that seem to jive with what you're seeing happening?