Anyone else think that tablets are useless?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TH55, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

They're too big and awkward to use after using a smart phone. Being able to do everything one-handed is a huge convenience, and the only comfortable way to use a touch screen.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

i was going to stay with my iphone 5 for 3-4 years and get an ipad every year or two since i don't use the iphone that much

3. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

I find phablets useless. I love my iPad and if it wasn't for work I could easily see myself replacing my laptop altogether with my iPad.

4. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I think each has its use.

I used to think that an iPad was a dumb idea. Then I used it. It's good for certain things, especially if you travel a lot or have kids.

5. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

They're not as big or awkward as a desktop or laptop, and that's what most tablets are replacing. It's the perfect size for sitting on the couch at night... catching up with news, reading, games, etc.

6. NinjaDuck macrumors member

NinjaDuck

7. Cr0nus macrumors member

Cr0nus

I don't think this is the right section for this discussion but I agree tablets are a luxury good in this day and age when computers are concerned a necessity (and at least in the "1st world" smartphones too).

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

I don't think tablets are useless at all. And there are millions of owners of Apple, Samsung, etc. tablets that agree with me and not you OP.:p

9. syd430, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013

syd430 Guest

First there was the thread about Apple not using a file system in the iOS sub forum and now there's this thread. Did I step in to a time machine back to 2010 today?

To the OP: for starters tablets can be used without holding it, by propping it up at a slight angle with something like a smart cover. Over the years I've also found very distinct uses for my iPads which a clearly better suited to the larger screen:

- couch surfing: way more comfortable laying back and doing everything on the iPad than on the the tiny iphone screen.

- breakfast bar: when I'm standing around near the kitchen and want to check a few things without turning on any of my laptops or computers. But still want to interact with something laying on a table rather than holding my phone for an extended period

- certain games like Kingdom rush, board games and media such as movies are much better experienced on the larger screen of the iPad

- writing more than a few sentences is much better on the iPad than on the iphone

Again most of these things are when the iPad is propped up on a table rather than holding it. I found that when you need to hold a device. The iphone is usually better, with the exception of coach surfing.

Also this should be in the iPad forum.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

This thread is much more useless than tablets.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

They are far from useless.

Nevertheless, my The new iPad from Spring 2012 rarely gets used. Maybe once every two weeks.

Obviously, my iPhone is used throughout the day, every day. Plus, I love my desktop.

Again, far from useless, but I would say that tables aren't as useful as your main computer or iPhone.

12. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

The are useful but interesting enough I have the mini and for awhile now but with the new 5s I'm considering selling it since I can get around so much faster on the phone now. The biggest plus is obviously screen size but I zoom a lot with the phone and makes me think maybe phone only now. I have a MBP as well

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's what I'm sayin, the phone is so much more efficient and easy to use IMO. Other than screen size I see no advantage and as I don't watch that much TV and even the biggest tablet is still far too small to watch a movie on, the size is irrelevant.

14. cchunk macrumors 6502

For me, i probably use my iPad just as much as my iPhone. Im in college and literally bring it to class every day. With apps like Notability, I can do everything i need to do. Its much more convenient. I couldn't even imagine trying to use my phone for notes.

But I also much rather use it for browsing the internet and apps that hare compatible with both ipad and iphone.

15. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Calling tablets useless is a bit of a stretch, but I've all but given mine up. I was a diehard iPad fan and pretty much had every model up until the 4. Haven't even touched one in a month. I find myself using either my laptop or my iPhone for everything.

16. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I use it because I have it but if I had to give it up. It would not be that painful. Movies are nice when traveling and I like to travel with it when Im not being a Pro Photographer in which case I have to my laptop.

17. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Both are good, IMO. I like the portability of the iPhone, but I like the bigger screen and better resolution of the iPad when I'm getting down to some work or watching some video.

18. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Everyone I know who has gotten a Note 2 or similar phablet has absolutely LOVED them. They're definitely not for me but I do find that their owners are quite enthusiastic, so clearly there is a target audience for them.

19. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

To each their own.

I have an iPad2, iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4, and tomorrow, a 5s. The iPad's are in constant use by our family. I have a lot of digital kids movies on iTunes that they watch. Heck, I even have some of my movies on the iPads. When we travel, they are a god send. With an extra HDMI cable and the iPad connector, I can watch my movies in any hotel room across the country. Most Kid's apps are free to $4.99. Once they get bored of it, I have no issues deleting them. MS programs and games are hitting $50 each. When apps are so cheap, its a no brainer which one I'm going to pick.

They are lighter than my laptap so now I just use an ipad and keyboard at conferences. We even got a MiFi so we can have wifi service for all our iPads when we are out of the house. We use them to read ebooks, surf the web, watch movies, play games, etc... The larger screens make it so much easier than staring at the small iPhone screens. In fact, I just gave my "new" netbook to my father-in-law because I haven't touched it in over a year.

If you thought that coming to the iPhone forum instead of the iPad forum would get you flamed less, you're obviously wrong. Obviously you have no use for an iPad, so why even bring it up? A less flammable post would have been "Are there other uses where an iPad would be more useful than an iPhone?" Same idea, less flame, and in the proper iPad forum.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I don't think they're useless, but I can't think of a single reason why I personally would have to purchase one. On the couch I'd rather use my laptops because, well, they're real computers running real software with a real keyboard. And even if I were just mindlessly surfing the web, why would I want a device that I have to hold the entire frikkin' time? As opposed to my laptop computers that are on my lap while lazying on the couch, feet up, allowing me to read while using my hands for eating, drinking, and other such things. I just don't get it.

But I certainly think they could be useful in certain professions where people need a mobile device for simple tasks, replacing a much heavier laptop.

So I'm not sure why the OP is being berated. I'm sure there are plenty of people to whom a tablet is useless or at least impractical.

21. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I don't think they're useless, many of my friends use their tablets more than their computers,phones etc. I'm thinking of getting ipad mini (hope for retina) or nexus 7 for christmas :rolleyes:

22. kiish macrumors member

Whilst i don't have an iPad I do have an Android tablet and a Asus Windows tablet. Neither of which I have used except once (the day I bought them) :3

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes.

Sent from my Apple iPad 3 using one hand.

24. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I don't have a tablet. But I might get either an iPad mini or a Nexus 7 (2G).

But tablets are excellent for sitting at home on the couch, when you don't want to use your computer, but also don't want to look at a small phone screen.

My friend is obsessively on his iPad. I actually give him crap because he is on it so much.

They are definitely not useless. I think tablets are the future of computers.

25. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This is pretty much where I am. When Apple announced the iPad I thought it would be a giant failure. Just didn't see the point because I've never had a problem carrying a laptop around.

Now, I still don't want a tablet of any kind, but my kids have them and I appreciate the utility.