Anyone else think the sleep indicator light should be solid when the computer is on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midgetsanchez, Jul 3, 2009.

1. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

PROPOSITION: Turn the sleep indicator light to a power indicator light.

I just noticed, the sleep indicator light pulses when my MBP is in sleep, but is always completely off when it's in use. This is actually a little frustrating, as sometimes I leave my MBP idle with the screen off and the backlit keyboard off as well, and I can't tell if the thing is on or not since it's dead silent.

Also, I noticed that when I leave my MBP plugged in, idle overnight, the sleep indicator light is solid in the morning. It's definitely not indicating sleep, since the unit is on, so I'm not sure what it means.

Anyway, anyone else think the sleep indicator light should be solid when the computer is in use? How would you tell the difference between an MBP that is powered off, and closed and slipped into a backpack, from an MBP that is simply powered on but fails to enter sleep for some reason?

Is there a way to keep the light on forever, sort of like a power indicator? ALL my previous laptops have some sort of power LED just so you can at least tell it's on. It just doesn't make sense to me.

2. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Solid = Screen turned off or lid closed and computer not in sleep mode. It tells your computer is still running.
    Variating luminosity (lid closed or not) = Computer in sleep mode

When you turn off the backlight, the LCD is still powered, you can see it if you direct light on it, you will still see your applications.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Your problem is you don't use your computer like a normal person TBH.

The light will come on if the display goes to sleep to show you it is still running and if the computer goes to sleep it will pulse. It makes no sense to turn your backlight off and walk away from the computer leaving it idle.
    System Prefs>Energy Saver

Personally I would hate if the light was on when the computer was on, that's what the giant bright screen is for. :D Otherwise just let the display go to sleep after 10mins of inactivity if you want to save power when it is running and put the computer to sleep when you are not using.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was an app to put the display to sleep with one click instead of you turning down the brightness manually if you wanted to go that route.

4. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Actually, that's exactly what it's indicating. Your hard disc and screen have been shut down (go to your system preferences > Energy Saver to view the settings for this) and the light comes on to indicate that the computer is not shut down, but has suspended itself.

Why are you turning off the screen and backlight and walking away?

5. Diadems macrumors newbie

There is actually a really handy keyboard shortcut: Command-Option-Eject. I use it all the time :)

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Anyone else think the sleep indicator light should be solid when the computer is on?

My eMac's is. :D

But seriously, is it really that much of a hassle? I never had a problem with it on my iBook...

7. bartelby macrumors Core

bartelby

God no!!

I have my laptop on at night playing audiobooks. I don't want the search power light on all the time.