Anyone else think there's too much hosility in the air?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by uiop., May 3, 2009.

1. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Note- I sent this message to the admins too.

I've been disappointed with the lack of moderation on these boards. It seems like EVERY single thread turns into a piss fest argument between members, no matter what. They bicker over the dumbest things and are just down right rude. Am I simply the only one bothered by the hostility of this forum? Someone needs to step up to the plate and monitor these threads and throw down the ban hammer to members who need a time out. It will also show other members that they need to play nice. I'm just so friggin tired of have to filter through a bunch of whining and fighting in a thread to just find the information I need. MacRumors is an amazing forum and it's a shame that some people can't play nice.

Maybe if the words "thread" and "post" were banned from being said in a thread, there would be less offtopic talk about people and more ontopic talk in regards to the discussion at hand.

Thoughts? Anyone feel the same way?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The mods can't read every single post people on the forum make. If you use the report icon on the post, you can send a notice to the mods that a post needs to be looked at so they can take care of it. Think of it as you being a mini-mod kind of. :)

3. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Yeah....I've noticed the same for about as many years as I've come to this site.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Sometimes is hard

While I totally enjoy reading MR's I have found myself simply tuning out 95% of the threads/information b/c it contains such juvenile posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.
    I've found keying in on certain things helps me from becoming frustrated.

Being a former mod I know it's difficult to keep up with everything however I must admit if these were my boards I would become a ban hammer and a delete pro.

For the most part I simply try to tune out the worthless.

5. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

It used to only be the iphone forum, now it is everywhere. I'm probably guilty of some of the flaming -- when i see someone attacking someone else i over react -- but i've mostly stopped posing because i've found myself over reacting the tripe posted here.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Become a contributor. The best $25 you will ever spend. :D

7. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

8. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You also get access to a 'secret' forum.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There will always be some that feel the board is moderated too heavy handed, and others who will feel just the opposite... that it is too loose. The best advice was given by SilentPanda, if you find a post that is out of line, report it through the means provided. This will call it to the attention of the moderators. They cannot be everywhere, and this will help them be in the right place at the right time.

The forum contains a wide range of age, maturity level, background, culture, races, gender and more. The eclectic nature makes it the place it is. Whenever you combine that much diversity, you will find clashes. In time, it all gets sorted out, but members can do their part by 1) not participating in personal attacks 2) reporting where appropriate 3) not feeding the trolls 4) showing courtesy and restraint in their own posts.

Observations about moderation crop up from time to time, and certainly there are periods where things are more tense than others, but give the system time to work and it will. We have a great group of moderators and an excellent framework with the Forum Rules. In my opinion, the balance is difficult to maintain between freedom to express opinions and holding the line, but I feel the current system is more than adequate to handle the task.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Additionally, an intangible, but no less important, benefit is that it strips-away the chaff. The people that put their $25 on the line are usually more "stable".

If not, kiss the $25 good-bye if you get banned. :p

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We want to keep the forums enjoyable and useful for all members, not just those who support the site with paid memberships. We ask all members to report inappropriate posts to the moderators and to set a good example themselves.

A community site open to the public will necessarily have some members who are friendly and helpful and some who have trouble following rules. We appreciate your help in spotting and reporting problems, since we can't read every post.

13. McKnight macrumors member

McKnight

14. Wiska macrumors member

Are you proposing the MR staff moderate users' behaviour? Good luck with that.

I noticed someone got a time-out because they said they pirated software. :rolleyes: What's next, should I get a time-out for saying I punched a kitten?

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's incorrect. We don't approve of pirating, and we prohibit requesting or giving specific assistance in pirating, but pirating or admitting you pirated does not violate forum rules so we don't give time-outs for it.

We don't discuss the details of another member's moderation, but you can make general comments here, or use the Contact form if you have questions for us.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Through all the years I have been here this site has had it's ups and downs. It goes in cycles. Right now it is in a down cycle but give it time and it will upswing again.

17. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

I've seen it too but this down cycle has lasted since the iphone came out.

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I probably report at least 3 posts a week on average, mostly spam related though. I mostly hand in the web dev forum and things are pretty calm there most of the time. I try to set a good example, but we all have bad days or get frustrated with another member once in a while.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That's not hostility, just Axe Body Spray.

Which tends not to cover up the stink of testosterone in the air.

But Axe does make the body hairs more flamable, so watch where you stick that Taser when you fend off the other members. ;)

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, that's why the noobs have been so combustible as of late.

21. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Yea I think there is hostility in the air, especially in the politics section. It feels like scientology for the Left.(If you've never perused some scientology boards, you know what I'm talking about).

That or anytime copyright or Windows gets brought up, I can only hope the thread gets locked.:(

22. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I've seen the hostility expand exponentially ever since the PPC went away and the iPhone came into play, but it's normal. Apple's user base is growing daily and we need to remember that this is the internet. As it was said before, the moderators can't check every post for stupidity. Best way to deal with it is to use the report button.

The only thing that even comes close to bothering me is the hundreds of threads of people complaining about which product to buy, a single dead pixel on their screen, or whether they should return the product because the screen is off by 0.1mm to either side. Anyway, I'll save you all the misery of a full rant for another day.

About 95% of my time on Mac Rumors is to help Mac neophytes and/or experienced users. I just use the Forum Spy and exclude known forums/sub-forums which have the annoying threads.

That said, Mac Rumors has done an excellent job on moderating the forums. There are sites and forums I just stopped going to because it just got way out of control.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you can help moderate by clicking the handy report button on the bottom of each post

24. theagentx macrumors newbie

theagentx

I feel it! I popped up my first post and BOOM! I was asking for legit help with the potential of making $$. I got 2 burners right out of the box. I like the MR site, not too sure about the forums.

25. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you feel like somebody is being unnecessarily hostile towards you (or another member) just click the report button. That's what the mods are for. Responding to a hostile member with hostility (not saying you did, just mean in general) will just get both of you bit eventually instead of the originator.