anyone else think verizon iphone customers will be disappointed with hotspot feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by einmusiker, Jan 18, 2011.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I own an iPhone on att and tether through JB, I love it, its a great feature when theres service.

I also own a verizon palm pre plus with the "free" hotspot feature.

I honestly rarely use it. The reason is there's a 5 gb max per month and when I can get ATT service through tethering it is MUCH faster.

with all this talk about that being the killer feature on the verizon iphone I can't help but think customers are going to be sorely disappointed when they find out there will be a 5gb per month maximum. I'm also not 100% sure the feature will be free as many people seem to think it will be.

anyway, thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get your point in asking. Are you asking because you're a customer looking to move to the iPhone on vzw?

I think customers will be pleased with the mobile hot spot and I thought the 5gb was a soft cap?

3. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

not on mine. every time I go over 5 gb I get charged big time on that line

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hey, a free feature is a free feature. Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Etc :)

I had a Palm Pixi with the free hotspot for five, and as I've said here before, we used it to provide connectivity to our friends when inside restaurants where Verizon had coverage and ATT did not.

Didn't happen that often, so we didn't use a ton of data, but it was very worthwhile to have the ability.

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Verizon's hotspot on their other phones has always been a good thing for me. I don't have to pay AT&T to use my iPad for 2GB's of data a month.

Also, when/if AT&T allows the hotspot through their service a 5GB cap on Verizon seems much better than a 2GB cap with them.

6. shadrap macrumors 6502

The hot spot will be great if free. I use wireless tether all the time on my Evo, but I had to root it. If the Verizon iPhone offers it free, that's great, and it will keep people like me from Jail Breaking.

7. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

point well taken, which is I guess why so many of us jailbreak

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if their a longtime vzw customer then no theyll love it. if their coming from ATT theyll hate it cause it is a ton slower.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aren't people happy with that little Verizon box thingie? This'll be pretty much the same thing.

Unless there are people who don't like that and I just haven't heard?

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

There is little misinformation here...
    Verizon mobile hotspot is not free, period except on palm pre plus.

If you go with Android phones like Droid X, Verizon asks for 20 dollars additional fees on top of your 30 dollars unlimited plan. They also cap your data at 2GB or 5GB data depending on your phone. Do not ask me why they are doing this, but they do.

Verizon's EVDO data speed is slower compare to AT&T's HSDPA network. But, they have better coverage in US. So, we shall see. But, mobile hotspot app ain't free on Verizon on most smart phones.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree with you in that Verizon will probably charge at least $20 per month for the hotspot feature.

12. Geckotek, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, we don't have an official announcement re: the price from Verizon, but I read somewhere that (edit) a Verizon rep stated that it would be free. Looking for that statement now...will post if I find it.

I'm not saying that's 100% (as you mentioned all phones but the Palm charge $20), but I'm saying we can't be sure until it's official due to this.

And to the OP...can't see how the cap would be dissappointing as all tethering plans have a cap that I'm aware of.

Edit: Here's the post I was referring to:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11729404&postcount=2

13. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

If the hot spot feature was going to be free, verizon would have touted it during the press conference. My thinking is that all of this talk about it being free just means that Apple is including the hot spot with iOS, but you'll still have to subscribe to Verizon's Hotspot service, which is currently $20/mo on all their current smartphones. There's no way they're going to give it away for free to data-hungry iPhone users, and it's wishful thinking at best to even consider it.

14. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

What talk?
    Why would this be a killer feature for the verizon iphone when it is coming to every other GSM iPhone with iOS 4.3?

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

I think "Hot spot" is a great feature, but on data restricted plans its not of great value.

When unlimited is truely "Unlimited" this will have value.

I would want to tether my ipad but boy oh boy, using an ipad as it was intended will eat data.

I downloaded one 22 min video via hotspot JB on iphone and it moved 189 megs. On a 2 gig plan...data is used up quick if you plan to stream much of anything 3G.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

So you are comparing theft of service on AT&T to a hotspot pay-for-service feature on Verizon?

I pay for a Verizon MiFi wireless broadband account now. It works fantastic, giving me fairly constant speeds in places where I can't even get an AT&T signal at all. To be able to dump that @ $60/month in favor of a hotspot feature on a Verizon iPhone would not only save me money but be very convenient to boot.

Sorry, I'm just not into stealing or I'd see your point.

17. shadrap macrumors 6502

If it's free it would be a bonus for Verizon Customers. If it's not free, it will be jail broken and taken anyway.

18. sectime macrumors 6502a

Great, now more posts on why it's not stealing :eek:
    From the "if I believe it then it's true" members :confused:

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hmm. I can't find anything saying it's "free", either. Could just have been a hopeful rumor.

Ars Technica quoted Apple's Phil Schiller this way:

"We did the hotspot feature because it's something Verizon offers, they have a system and specs for it in place," Schiller said. "We can't say if it will come to AT&T."

"System and specs", along with the warning on the Personal Hotspot menu that says "Additional usage charges may apply", doesn't make it very clear. We'll have to wait and find out.

Attached Files:

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's no way they will give tethering for free.
    You guys are dreaming.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I like how people treat the data limit like some kind of dystopian dictator from a sci-fi movie.

"Go over 2 GB and vee vill shoot you!"

You know what actually happens? You pay $10 and (here's the good part) you get another whole GB for that. (On at&t anyway, I'm assuming Verizon won't be too far off in their pricing.)

It's not a $10 punishment fee, it's $10 to get 50% more data for the month. You're actually buying something, not paying a traffic ticket.

Yes, I know this stuff can add up if you don't pay attention, but can we stop acting like they're gonna kill your dog if you hit 2 GB? No, you just have to pay a little more.

I wouldn't want to do it every month but it's not the end of the world.