Anyone else tried GarageBand yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MRU, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Garageband is awesome on iPad 1 even with it's 256mb ;)

The smart instruments are wonderful, Audio recording and sampling via mic / headset works without lag.

Just amazed that it runs as well as it does and the user interface is utterly genius.

2. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

its far better than i thought it would run :)
    for me, its just a shame theres not more instruments... cause if there was, i'd be tempted to sell my air and splash out on a top model ipad 2, although i guess i'd miss OSX at some stage.
    have any thoughts on this?

3. Adibobea9 macrumors member

Does GB have synthesizers and other electronic instruments. I really want to make some 8-bit music and other stuff for games…

4. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

can you not plug in a midi keyboard? The fact that you can plug in a guitar is really appealing but why not expand that to midi instruments as well? Just doesn't make sense

5. whyhellojoe macrumors member

hi guys, just got a few questions (still buying the app before getting my iPad 2 of course), if any of you have used Beatmaker 2 before, how does it fare against it?

take for example my workflow scenario, i'll sequence a few chords in and then record myself playing the virtual instrument hook. go back to edit the recorded hook to lengthen/shorten/move the notes etc. can this be done with garageband?

a few more questions (sorryyy);
    - does it let you overlay an instrument's recording (record the left hand virtual piano bits first then the second hand's virtual piano bits)
    - does it have features like quantization
    - is that a notation feature i see for the virtual keyboard?
    - with the smart instruments, can you select any chords you want or is it a set amount of chords? how customizable are the chords available (lots of chords or just a few basic ones?)

thanks so much in advance! :D :D

6. dtblaze macrumors regular

check out morphwiz for a good synthesizer like instrument.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I spent an hour or so noodling around with Garageband this afternoon.

Frankly, I'm amazed that they can pack as much tasty musical functionality into an App that works as good as it does on a Gen 1 iPad. The fact that they sell it for $5 is utterly amazing.

If you have even the slightest musical ear, it certainly is possible to create some quite pleasing tracks. The "smart instruments" let even the totally untrained make some great sounds.

Right now there isn't a lot of documentation for the App. While its not hard to use, anyone who hasn't used this sort of software is, I think, going to have some questions. One thing that isn't addressed at all is the ability to plug a MIDI keyboard into the 30-pin connector using the camera connection kit. This works just fine, but there is no hint of the capability in the "help" sections.

The App seemed very stable. It opens, runs, and save very quickly - with maybe a 3 second delay while it quits to save your unfinished work.

Lets also say that this isn't a full-featured music production program. There aren't nearly the volume of loops and instruments you'll find on the Mac version of Garageband, let alone Ableton or other programs. You don't have the ability to manually edit notes you've played. Crossfades etc. is a little limited.

Apple creating and selling this program for five bucks is, in my opinion, their way of showing off. "Raising the Bar" (in Steve Jobs words) for what other 3rd party developers can do with Apps on a mobile device.

8. michaelz macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

It eat up my ipad1 battery fast!

9. Physicsdummy macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have this bug on GB that when you pick a different guitar you hear static and then the guitars don't produce sound anymore?

10. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Is there a complete list of instruments somewhere? Or, for those who have it, is there an ukulele?

11. bouldermac macrumors member

It us way cooler than I thought it would be.

Pretty fun to mess around with .

I'm sure my kids will love it.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Good to hear. This would be one of the main reasons I'd get the new iPad.

13. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Was waiting to hear how it runs on the 1st gen iPad before taking the plunge. But all seems positive so think I shall give it a go!

14. JeepGC macrumors regular

15. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Stupid question here with the adapter you can plug in a electric guitar do you also need to hook up a amp too?

16. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

No, that's the coolest thing... Apple build several real life Amps into Garage band and you can pick between them (you actually see the Amp box on the screen) to customize the sound.

17. The Doop macrumors member

Really is an incredible app...especially for the price! I ordered the Apogee Jam interface so I'm really looking forward to seeing how what the guitar quality will be like. It's definitely not a replacement for Logic Pro or other full blown DAW's, but will be great for throwing around ideas and just jamming on the couch.

Definitely a must buy for any iPad owner!!

18. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

can you use airplay to play the sound on speakers, whilst fettling GB on the ipad?