Anyone else unable to access the PSN forums?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by DdMac679, Feb 28, 2010.

1. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

I noticed that Playstation has upgraded their site and when trying to access the forums I am prompted to enter a username/password combo. I tried using my PSN id information but have been unsuccessful? Has anyone else been able to login onto the forums?

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah big PSN issues. Some people with phat's are losing data etc. I'm gonna leave mine off for a while....

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

No one is losing data, don't spread false rumors ;) :p. Fats are experiencing what seems to be a leap year type issue. They cannot login to PSN, and the date was set back to 12/31/1999.

Slims are not affected, and most 80GB fats are not either.

You won't lose any data, nor is data loss a part of this.

6. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Yeah I was playing Final Fantasy XIII while this happened. I finally beat it by the way. The ending was awesome. Anyway when I quit my system froze and I had to reboot. When I turned it back on all my save data from beating the game was there, but my trophies where gone. Only my FFXIII trophies though. The rest where there.I get the same message as everyone else now. They say it's got something to do with the internal(not OS) system clock and leap year.
    I've got an 80GB fat, but its the MGS4 bundle one. The last model to have PS2 backward compatibility.

7. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Seems a pretty major problem alright, most clocks (except the slims as far as I have read) have reset themselves back to 31/12/99 which is a bit of a feat.

Sony have posted via their twitter that they are looking into it and have narrowed down the problem.

Some players are reporting that they have lost their trophy information, (but this maybe from not being able to sign into the PSN)

Havent gotten home yet, so will check it out later on....

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

From what I can tell its the 80GB without BC, sorry I should have been more specific

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The only trophy data people would lose is any trophies they recieved during the outage. Everything else would be ok, just nothing new during the outage.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So I just got Heavy Rain yesterday, and when I went to play... NOPE.

Thanks a lot Sony, you better fix this before I try to play tonight... :p

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have to say, the idea that offline games might not work because of trophy BS has me a little worried. What ever happened to put the game in and it works? :eek: I was at a good part in Heavy Rain too.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Games that sync trophies at the start up are being affected by the internal clock error because the game is trying to access the PSN data base but to no avail.

I haven't been on my PS3(phat one) since last week so I'm not sure if its suffering from it as well but my slim version is still playing along.

I'm reading a lot of post and its hilarious how some people think this is "the end of the PS3"...paranoia and tin foil hats is the order of the day.

I don't think trophies or game saves will be affected by this error and hopefully its worked out soon.

Bless

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

While I don't think this is the "end of the PS3" it does showcase a significant issue. How asinine is it that people can't play offline games because Sony's servers went down (or got hacked)? Sony needs to add a way to turn trophies off.

This should also serve notice to any company out there looking to employ DRM that forces an offline game to check a server periodically in order to continue playing. If you cannot guarantee 100% uptime (and no one can), it's a very bad idea to tie offline gameplay to a server.

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Looks to be a Zune-like leap year issue for 60GB/20GB original PS3’s. I have the original 60GB and I can pretty much use the web browser at the moment. That’s it. Netflix doesn’t even work.

Little Big Planet, SingStar and Heavy Rain don’t work either (offline) and none of my PSN games work. They throw up a DRM error.

It’s the internal clock that’s messed up, not the system clock. So changing your system clock does nothing.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190398/global_playstation_3_glitch_what_we_know_so_far.html

Get this fixed, Sony.

15. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Say that to my 10 gigs of corrupted Rock Band songs :(.

But I assume it's a DRM issue, and should be fixed in a few hours. If not, hopefully Sony fix it and all my DLC works again. And saying your not going to turn your PS3 on is doing nothing, the internal clock still ticked over, and your PS3 still screwed up. Unless it's a Slim.

And you don't have to be online to play. My cousin always plays offline (has only been online once to download patches), and everything works 100% for him.

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Someone reported things working when manually setting the date instead of having it set to From Internet. I haven't tested this because I have a Slim :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an update later today to fix this anyway though. Also, it seems to be the only issue with Offline games is Trophies, so how about turning off your PS3's wifi or ethernet? Then you won't have to worry about any syncing. Although... If you do get a trophy the date might by awfully crazy!

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Sony acknowledged the problem via Twitter about 16 hours ago and haven't fixed it, yet. They haven't updated the status in about 14 hours, which might mean the problem is not such an easy fix and they are going into full lockdown mode.

Changing the date/time manually doesn't solve the issue, nor does disconnecting the console's internet connection. I've never tried it when everything was working correctly, but from the looks of things, you might not even be able to play certain offline games without a working internet connection because of the need to sync trophies at startup.

18. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I should have sold my 60gb and gotten a Slim like I wanted too last week. Oh well. Hopefully they will have this sorted out today.

19. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I read on Electronista that if the leap year issue TRULY is the source, than for those of us in the US, it should resolve itself by tonight when we reach the next day in GMT.

Weird. Sony had a lot of mojo going into this year with their sales and PR... this is kind of a big setback with them.

If you are concerned about your trophies, you can go to Playstation's website and if you have set up a means to access your profile through their web servers, you can see that your trophies are intact from the moments immediately preceding the outage.

20. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

[​IMG]

This is pretty much the exact same problem Zunes had. Your data is safe, and you havent lost any trophies (unless you earned them after the date issue popped up, then you might have to redo them, im not sure).

It will either resolve itself soon enough or Sony will patch it. Its not a huge problem if you cant play games for a day or two. Sure its a pain, and they really should have all teams working on it, but it could be a lot worse.

I have an 80gb Motorstorm model and i wan on PSN last night at about 10:30 (EST). I havent checked in since, but now i have an excuse to do some actual work instead of spending all my free time in Heavy Rain.

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Fix supposedly coming within 24 hours. However ….

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

So stay off it, if you have a launch model PS3.

22. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Not JUST launch model. If you have any "model other than the new slim PS3". Which basically means... if your PS3 is fat and shiny... hold tight and wait to hear about the update. You can check their blog or their twitter.

23. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I must be clairvoyant - I maybe backup my PS3 once every 6 months, but I did so just a few hours before the glitch yesterday.

24. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

That update is garbage. For one, my clock set itself to December 31, 1999 (not January 1, 2000). Secondly, the error message I received did not say, “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.” It says, "Registration of Trophy Information could not be completed. The game must quit."

At least they got the error code right. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people think this is a "leap year" issue. 2010 is not a leap year and I never heard of anyone experiencing this back in 2008 (which was a leap year).