Anyone else unable to receive calls today (jan 31)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amik, Jan 31, 2008.

1. amik macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with AT&T and it appears they are experiencing some outages. At first they tried to tell me that both of our iPhones had bad sim cards, and that they went bad on the same day at the same time because "phone's are funny, like computers". I made it clear that it wasn't funny.

I can send and receive text messages, e-mail, and I can dial out, but I can't receive any calls. Same with my wife's iphone. I know there is a major disruption in the middle east and asia due to the cable breaks but the AT&T people denied that it had any impact on my phone. Just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue.

2. daemondust macrumors newbie

Probably just a temporary local outage. It happens from time to time and rarely lasts more than a few hours. If it bugs you, you might be able to get a small credit on your bill if you complain to AT&T enough.

3. amik thread starter macrumors regular

I already informed them that all my text messages are going to be on the house until this is resolved (we've got the minimum number currently). I have heard the brief outage thing before, but I was surprised to hear the rep say it could be 72 hours or so.

4. daemondust macrumors newbie

You didn't say what part of the country you're in, but I know that at least parts of the midwest have had damaging winds lately.

Phone companies aren't known for being forthcoming with information about damaged infrastructure. Maybe local towers were damaged. Or maybe they've had server problems and don't want people to know about it.

No matter what the underlying cause, I'd watch my bill closely especially to make sure anything they promised comes through.

5. amik thread starter macrumors regular