Anyone else underwhelmed lately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPadPublisher, Aug 12, 2014.

1. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

At the risk of being called a troll, I thought I'd pose the question as to whether or not anyone else is a bit underwhelmed as of late. I'm not one of those "they don't innovate anymore" guys, so please save me the soap box. I'm not making any accusations or suppositions about what's happening inside Apple HQ... I'm just kind of bored with it all.

Maybe Apple has reached a bit of a saturation point of sorts? I really like my iPhone 5S. I don't have a long wish list or "must haves" list for the next phone. Larger screen would be nice, as my eyes strain a bit, but really I'm happy with it. I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming Health app... that might be cool.

None of the rumors really grab me. NFC doesn't excite me only because I don't see a proliferation of NFC at retail. Or anywhere really. Better camera? Cool... I'm always interested in better images, so I'll gladly accept whatever improvements come to the camera. Sapphire screen or not? I don't care. A more durable screen is like a better camera... I'll gladly take it, but I'm not jumping for joy over the idea.

My iPad Air is great. I have no complaints. It's thin, light, and with 128GB of storage it hauls around tons of crap for me and works great. I have the cellular model, and my coverage and use outside of the home is always good and without much trouble. I don't need it to do much else. Or really anything else that I can think of.

Same with my laptop our nMP as well. I'm glad with what I have, and I can't think of anything else I need. I'm not that excited about any of it coming up.

Am I alone?

2. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Not at all. I noticed most people reach this point of view sooner or later.

Depending on your peak interest in technology, this kind of excitement can fade
    remarkably fast. Not only because the saturation points are reached, but also because companies sometimes start to go in directions with technology not everyone necessarily agrees with. For example alot of original iPhone users including myself do no prefer a larger screen at all, this is probably why i'll stick with iPhone 5S until it's support is dropped completely.

3. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good point. I'm still interested. I'll be a lifelong techie. Used to host a national radio show on tech. It's in my veins.

Maybe, too, we're just in a lull technologically. These phones/pads, etc are all powerful, useful, and sort of filling the uses they were intended for. Need something new or over the top to eek out another massive wave of excitement.

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

The issue is that things initially moved quickly as they had loads of things they could integrate but we've probably reached a saturation point in terms of what sensibly needs to be included on mobile phones especially until there i a major leap in battery tech...in fact thats probably what the next main innovation will be.

It all got a bit silly with the screen size race which Apple now appear to have jumped aboard as well although i will admit to not being a fan of the huge screen phones. Apple have had a slating for no longer innovating but if we're reasonable then not many of the phone firms have put anything overly interesting and useful into phones in recent times.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We got so used to companies fighting each other for new features to launch, now it has slowed down we have consumers feeling under whelmed.

I have to say I am enjoying my iPhone but it is my first one. I wasn't too keen on having a leap up in handset size I have to admit but its all going this way. I'm looking forward to the next iPhone launch and will see the positives in it no doubt. :)

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So, why can't you just enjoy them?

I get that people like new things, and perhaps it's boring when things are just working nicely.

But phones, tablets and laptops are at a stage where they fulfill your needs. Just enjoy them.

7. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I think its partly due to the fact that these products have come such a long way that theres not really that much room for improvements, in terms of design and build quality. To me the iPad air is as close to perfect in size, design and weight as it could be. I wouldn't want it any thinner or lighter as I think this would actually make it less usable. So all they can really do with it for the next upgrade is update the internals, which is of course useful, but like you say, its not very exciting.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

This is bound to happen if you stick with the same platform for years. You just have a hotrodded version of your old phone every time you upgrade, with the same apps and ways of doing things. People should swap manufacturers and platforms every couple of years to freshen things up.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I tend to agree - I think that the user experience of the iPhone and iPad have reached a point where only minor changes are possible.

There will obviously be iterative changes, such as camera improvements, faster processor/flash and more ram, etc, but from here on in I can only consider them begin minor changes. The iPad is the exception here, since it can get TouchID, which will be a big addition to the device IMO.

There are only two main areas I see that need improving on the iPhone itself - battery life, and sound quality (bottom speaker).

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Agreed. I don't care about my already thin phone becoming thinner. I want real improvements, like double the battery life and stereo speakers with bass. The HTC One has great speakers, so why does the 'premium' Apple iPhone have such a cruddy and tinny speaker?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with my 5c and I'm looking forward to what the 6 may provide. I moved off the iOS platform for a while to see what its like on the other side. It didn't last long, I came back because its a tightly integrated well designed environment.

I'm not underwhelmed but overwhelmed at what the iOS has to offer. The little things you take for granted are not as well implemented in other platforms.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Familiarity is all it is. There are countless tales of Android users who couldn't wait to get back once they switched to iOS. For sure iOS does some things 'better', but then so too does Android. If someone uses iOS for a few years and then switches to Android, it's completely understandable (and obvious) that they'll pine for how things used to be. The acid test would be to use Android for three years and then to decide. Otherwise it's not a level playing field.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm excited for the iPhone 6; but how to show that excitement through the internet. While I'm not excited in the phatablet size, i guess that is where it's going.

If you think people are underwhelmed wait until launch day. I guarantee the masses are not. There are only so many iPhone 6 threads I want to participate in, that is what gets old.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

In my opinion, iOS is by far the biggest selling point of the iPhone. The hardware is just a nice plus.

I get what you mean about how the little things just aren't as well integrated in other ecosystems. The example I always give is iTunes home sharing. I can buy a film on my Apple TV, and it automatically downloads to my computer. I can then watch a bit of it on the Apple TV, leave the room, pick up my iPhone and continue watching where I left off. 2 days later, I can pick up my iPad and again, continue where I left off on my iPhone. You just don't get that level of integration elsewhere.

15. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Think that would be better if it read "can swap" instead of "should swap"! If people want new things to play with on a regular basis then swapping around is the way to go but for a lot of people they will stick with what they know plus they get tied into platforms. I have my iPhone and iPad set up to sync stuff between them all the time so i can pick either up to do things plus i've no interest in paying out again for various apps that i've bought to date.

----------

I think battery life is something that all of the main smartphones need an improvement in and its mainly down to the tech thats available now not being up to the job. Yes they could chuck in bigger batteries and stuff but thats at the expense of the usability of the actual handset. For me a new battery tech is where the next main innovation will come with smartphones.

16. TC03 macrumors 65816

I've seen this thread in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

There's always someone who doesn't care so much anymore and thinks his opinion can be projected to the entire industry.

Sometimes you're just satisfied with what you have and not interested in something new. That's okay, but I don't see the point in opening threads like this.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you are feeling this way perhaps you are too focused on *things* right now. It could be time to go on a vacation or explore another hobby. Life is too short to be underwhelmed.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You only have to pay for those apps once more and then you have two ecosystems up & running. You can switch platforms to your heart's content then. How much have you spent on apps? Is it really that much of an issue?
    This synching thing is overplayed too. Would it really be a life and death problem if your notes and iMessages etc weren't available on both devices instantaneously?
    Still, each to their own. I'm just saying that if people are bored with iPhones being too samey every year, there are other options.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

Phones are tools to me. I had my Blackberry for 4 years, without a case. Finally hit the cement one too many times. I don't get bored with a tool, whether it's a screwdriver or phone. I need a tool that works, but I don't feel the need to switch out screwdrivers as long as the screwdriver works properly.

I think after you use an electronic device for many years, it can become familiar. However, unlike screwdrivers; there are real costs associated with switching out phones. Costs, time and effort I'm not willing to bear. I could be making money with all of that effort instead of not making money customizing a phone.

20. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It's hard to be underwhelmed when I haven't even seen the iPhone 6 yet.

21. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm not underwhelmed by a phone or a tablet. I just want something that works and gives me what I need. That's all.

22. jnappleseed macrumors member

The point of opening a thread like this is to provide discussion. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to leave a reply. Just keep moving. Furthermore, if you have nothing to add, please refrain from commenting on threads. Thank you.

----------

Android is a nice operating system. It has certainly made leaps since the first public release. It's nice. The only thing is there is no hardware to match it. Samsung's phones feel so pesestrian. Plastic. A finger print sensor that decides when to work. I found the HTC One (both, M7 and M8) to be the near match to android. But at the end of the day, I have so much invested in iOS. I've purchased too many apps. My music could certainly be transferred over if I were to make a switch.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Strongly disagree. I love the syncing that I have on iOS and OS X and am excited for more with Continuity. That's far more important to me than having a new ecosystem to play around with. Life and death? No. But very very useful when you use 3 devices? Yes.

To the OP's point, these are mature product lines now. They're not going to have huge leaps forward very often any more (if ever) because they don't need to and because the underlying tech isn't leaping forward like it did in 2007. It's hard to imagine any upgrade now being within an order of magnitude as impressive as going from a Moto razr to an original iPhone (which I did).

We should be glad that we're at the point where the products are so good that upgrades are incremental.

24. sandmanfvr macrumors member

This happens each year near the end of the "leaks" and rumors. The iPhone user base is flooded with images, videos, information, etc and we are just like "Whatever, where are the devices?". Then when the event hits, we see the devices and the advancements it then becomes the race to get said new device and people are excited again. That is why I glance at the leaks and such, not just dig and dig into them, cause frankly I want to see from Apple what is coming and if I am not impressed, then I say to myself "Next model then" and keep on using what I have. I have a 4s and thus the 6 will be an upgrade, so I am excited to see this new larger "beast" in September.

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You're not alone. Someone here just badgered me about this topic in another thread. I, too, am underwhelmed. It's the same basic boring design every year. And even so, I still plan on the iP6 this fall, because anything other than Apple feels and looks cheap. I just have to live with boring.