Anyone else updating an old machine to ML to help with the wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by travistaylor, Jul 26, 2012.

1. travistaylor macrumors regular

Well, I'm going back and forth on pulling the trigger next weekend for an iMac (just found out that my state offers a Tax Free weekend- not sure if the $150 savings will be worth it- I also get an 8% discount thanks to an EPP at work...so I could get a significantly lower price on a great iMac next week....but anyway....)

I just updated my mid-2007 MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I must say, it is definitely nicer than SL- but it's certainly still a bit laggy in areas. I thought it might help curb the wait, but I think it might have actually done the opposite- the new features (mind you, I don't even have multi-touch on my trackpad- so no 'swipe for notifications' for me...) are begging for a faster machine to run on.

So, anyone else going to spend a final $20.00 on your old Mac to try and hold you over for the new iMacs?

For what it's worth- it's a 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram, and the 256MB graphics card (quite the beast of a machine when I bought it back in 2007).

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I don't think I'll get much benefit from ML, but I think I'll need to install anyway. I'm already on Lion. My Mom's 2011 iMac is on SL and I'm upgrading her to ML next weekend.. so I need to be on ML so when she calls me with a question I can follow along click-for-click.:rolleyes:

3. peglegjack, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

My setup:

Mid 2007 iMac (2.4 GHz C2D, 6Gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO w/ 256MB memory, 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 1TB Firewire 800 External)

I put ML in last night and it is SCREAMING. Seriously, my computer is running so well that it's almost freaking me out. I was kinda sorta looking at Macbook Pros but no more. I'm riding this pony as long as I can. I will say that it helps to have a Magic Trackpad. I love that thing now; I don't think I saw the point when it first came out.

Oh yeah, I also did a clean install.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I'm dreading this, but I might have to. I think this computer came with Leopard installed. I've already done Snow Leopard & Lion updates. ML might push it off a cliff.

5. peglegjack, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Mine came with Tiger. In retrospect it's hard to believe that apple would release an iMac so close to the release of an OS (which I ended up paying for).

A clean install is not really that bad IMO; it took me all of an hour last night. The way I look at it is I manually add apps to my hard drive as I need them, so it doesn't feel like some overwhelming procedure.

6. Browndog221 macrumors newbie

I've got a mid-2007 iMac (2.4 C2D, 4GB Ram, 320 GB HD, Radeon HD 2600) and I did a regular install of ML last night.

Things are moving pretty quickly, but I've noticed that it's a touch slower than SL when opening apps, browsing the web, or using Mail.

It took about 1.5 minutes to startup this morning, which definitely isn't normal. SL used to take about 30 seconds. I hope that's not permanent.

I do like having the iCloud integration with my new iPad. That's quite a plus.

Peglegjack, you mentioned that you had a similar iMac to mine. How do you have 6Gb of Ram? When I bought my 4Gb off of Crucial.com it said that 4Gb was the maximum. I'd love to have 6Gb!

7. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I upgraded my early 2009 Mac Pro and my mid 2010 iMac yesterday. Both upgrades went well, and load times for apps seem to be quicker. Can't say much for some of the features though, like the Notes app. No matter what I try, I can't get it to sync. Reminders did though. Notification center is pretty cool - I hope more and more apps support it soon.

8. pdxplm macrumors newbie

pdxplm

I updated both my 2010 MacPro and my 2010 13" C2D Macbook Pro. Both flawless! I can see some speed out of both of them.

I'm torn between a new MBP or rMBP. I'll keep the 3.33 MacPro around for another 2 yrs since upgrading to 2 SSD's and 16g of ram keeps it happy!

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

What kind of speeds are you seeing with the SSD in the iMac? Mine currently has 3gb of ram and a standard hard drive. OWC seems to be the only place that sells 6gb of ram and I'm undecided if I can justify $130 in ram alone

10. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Go to this website: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=271

It may be slightly more expensive than when I got it, but not by much. It does help to have that little bit of an edge seeing as you will use that Ram.

CRIIM I'm thinking that I got 265Mb/sec read and 165Mb/sec write speeds if that makes sense. Which I don't think is too bad at all for this computer.

11. Browndog221 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information Peglejack. I appreciate it!

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'm not even putting ML on my 2011 iMac.

Lion broke enough stuff as it is.

I still have some 3rd party hardware related software that isn't working right.

Lion on one iMac .... SL on the other two.