Anyone else use a 15" or 17'' AlBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMpathetic, Apr 26, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

From what I've seen on MR lately, very few of us still use the still-potent Aluminum Powerbook G4s (the big 'uns, I know how much y'all drool over the Little Als) anymore. This disturbs me. Anyway, to make me feel less pissed at the world today, tell me if you have one and use it a lot, and if so, what are the specs, what do you use it for, and how is it set up?

(And yes, I just woke up. I have a feeling that this will usher in a new era of retarded morning threads.)

I'll start with mine. I have a 1.67GHz 15"er. Currently it's running Tiger on 1.5GB RAM with an 80GB hard drive. I have no need for more than 80GB. In fact, I get along fine with 40 on my main (and only) computer at my mom's house. It's just that CS3 and Office '08 are fatties. :p

It's hooked up to a Dell E248WFP 24" LCD, an Apple aluminum keyboard, and a Logitech MX Revolution.

Et tu?

2. Albal macrumors member

Good call.

Running a 17" 1.67 with 1gb ram and 100gb Hdd. Still using Tiger. It's absolutely nailed, dents, dings, scratches, holes and the screen hinge is pretty blow out, but chugs along quite nice.

It's used for music storage (iTunes), photos (iPhoto) and a bit of CS3 when I'm feeling creative. And let's not forget Quinn Tetris (high scrore 179043). Also, forgot to add, I'm a mountain biker so use this when on the road traveling between events. It's got my life on it!

I like it, but I get a lot rainbows even after permission and disk repairs. Had it since March 05 I think.

They're good computers, but I can't wait for a new looking machine to replace this one (absolute tart, self confessed).

3. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Glad to hear it's well loved.

Out of curiosity, how bad is it? Can you take some pictures? :p

4. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

My 17" 2.6 Penryn High Res has recently arrived to take over from my 1.33Ghz, 768GB RAM, 15" Powerbook running 10.3.9.

I've been happily using the Powerbook continually for my advertising copywriting work (using Word and Photoshop Elements 2), plus much audio editing (using Peak 4) and all my other computer needs. 60 gig hard drive, optical drive and everything else has worked without any fault whatsoever since I bought it. The battery was replaced under warranty after a recalll, but I'd not had a problem with it. There's been an increase in the appearances of the beachball in the last six mionths, but nothing too disturbing. An external Seagate 200 gig drive has been a noisy-but-reliable external backup for the last three years.

I would probably have settled for using the Powerbook for another year, but I decided to get the "final version" of this classic design in the form of the Penryn 17" before Apple comes up with some altogether new design. Unlike many who are yearning for a new look, I love the appearance and feel of the present Powerbook/Macbook Pro family and I hope to retain the new 17" for a good three years. This series of computers has been been of high value and reliability to me and I'll be sad when I have to eventually buy some radically revamped laptop that departs significantly from this excellent design. As it is, I'm delighted to have the 17" Penryn and its timeless design, which is probably going to be the last of this special breed.

5. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

About the design.....

I'm really, really glad Apple doesn't put number pads on the 17" MBPs like Dell, HP, and other PC manufacturers do. It looks so STUPID!!! :mad:

Are you keeping your old one?

6. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

15" 1.33 ghz, 1 gb ram, 120 gb hard drive.

Use for school mainly office and internet browsing. Do some light photoshop work, record some music, and listen to a whole lot of music.

I'm upgrading within the year as I just need a computer to run solid edge for next year.

7. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's in totally unmarked condition, so I could probably get a decent price for it, but it'll now spend it's semi-retirement as my "doesn't-matter-if-it-gets-a-few-scratches-outdoor-machine". It deserves an opportunity to let its hair down and feel free after years of being over-pampered!

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

The one in my sig, it has 2 gb ram and a 80 gb hd. I'm working about 30-50% of the time at various agencies and it's still a good machine for graphic design. It runs Leopard & CS3 just fine, the 80 gb hd is getting small and on my nerves though.

The backlit keyboard stopped working, but I used this feature almost never anyway.

It was a though decission between my iMac and a new mbp last summer, but in the end it's better to have 2 capable machines in case one breaks and there is a deadline ahead.

9. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

Yep, my 1.33 15" Powerbook is still going strong, and he's over 4 years old. occasionally the screen goes weird with a blue haze, but other than that, still being used for music making, programming and everything else.

10. kflook macrumors member

My specs are below. It's been my only machine for over 2 years, bought it in March 2006. The 80 GB hard drive gets pretty full sometimes, aside from that I have no complaints. It came with 512 MB RAM, but I upgraded that to 2 GB last year. I practically live off of this machine.

When I'm at home; it's hooked up to Altec Lansing VS-2121 speakers & sub, an Apple white bluetooth keyboard, and an Apple bluetooth mighty mouse (sometimes the mouse travels with me too). :cool: