Anyone else use their iPhones Touch ID to log into their MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hal~9000, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yes... I said MacBook Air (not MacBook Pro w/ touchbar) ;)

It's nice to be able to use a long, secure password but not have to type it in every time. Simply rest a finger on your iPhones TouchID sitting right next to your computer and you're instantly logged in.

Anyone else use this method?

2. jeddouglas macrumors regular

Didn't realise you could do this. However, I have an Apple Watch so have been using that to unlock my new 13" MBA.

3. asoksevil macrumors 6502

What's the app for that? Does it work reliably?

4. keithdoc macrumors newbie

I recently started using Apple Watch to unlock my MacBook (not air, sorry). While it works really well, it does require you to turn on Two Factor Authentication.

Which, in itself took me over 2 weeks to figure out why I could no longer sign into iTunes on manly of my legacy devices (Apple TV2, Apple TV3, older MB Air, etc). Even though they don't have ability to prompt for authentication code, they won't work until you authorize them.

NB - If you turn on Two Factor Authentication, and you have legacy devices (Apple TV 2 or 3) you will find yourself scratching you head A LOT. You'll need to instinctively know to add your recently generated 6 digit authentication code to the END of your password, when you enter it.