Anyone else use their MacBook Air lying down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cnev3, Apr 28, 2017.

1. cnev3 macrumors 6502

This is what's nice about having a lightweight and thin laptop. I can use it lying down with it propped up against my stomach and legs. If I tried this with my Toshiba Satellite, it would suck so hard. Be heavy, and then when I start watching Youtube videos, the fan would start making noise and blowing hot air on me. This MacBook is more quiet than a monk in a temple, even when its doing stuff.

2. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Yes, sits on my stomach while lying on the couch.

3. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

From time to time, yes. The trackpad and how responsive it is, helps a lot with not having to use a external mouse

4. Lawzen macrumors member

Lawzen

Not me......:cool:
    I always have mine on a hard surface whether it be a desk or table top. If I do find myself using it say on a bed or couch, I use one of my kids' large hardcover books underneath it :D

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Pretty much my position, too.

I have used it lying down, but am not really comfortable doing that; in general, I prefer to use a hard surface, or - sometimes when the news, or a current affairs programme is on TV, the computer my indeed sit on my lap.

6. Lawzen macrumors member

Lawzen

I just remember seeing this post by someone in the Apple Discussions

Your MacBook is a notebook, not a laptop

When you’re using your MacBook or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. For prolonged use, place your Macbook on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your Macbook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the Macbook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case. This is why your Macbook is a notebook and not a laptop, additionally the monitors on Macbook notebooks do not lay flat as in the case of many laptops. Again, use a lapdesk if you want or plan on using your Macbook on your lap.

And the rest of the article here:
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6343

But at the end of the day, your Macbook is your Macbook, and the way it's used and handled is always up to you. Always trust your gut feeling.:)

7. LauraJean macrumors member

LauraJean

Absolutely. I lie down everyday on the couch with my AIR in the late afternoon to surf the day's news. When using Numbers, Pages,Time Machine, or shopping, I sit at a table.