anyone else use virginmobile for internet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tbluhp, Sep 23, 2010.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

so i have

macbook
    ipad
    iphone

all portable and needs a internet so I got the mifi from virginmobile and $40 bucks I get unlimited internet who else dose the same.

2. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I have it and it works great. I haven't needed the unlimited yet though.

3. doboy macrumors 68000

How's the battery life?

4. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

what about rover

rover.com?

The battery life is great but speed compared to ATT's is slower :(

5. purplesaber macrumors member

I got the VM mifi a couple of weeks ago. Same deal as the OP in that between me and my wife and kids we have multiple iOS devices (2 jailbroken iPhones on TMobile without data, iPad, iPod touch) as well as two laptops.

The upside: the mifi works great when we are out and about. Gets a lot of use on car trips (multiple iOS devices online at the same time) and is great when I am at kids' sports events on the weekend. Works well for using the laptops at the local coffee shop with poor wifi. MUCH cheaper than having data on 2 phones and the iPad separately (as long as we're in the same place).

Downsides: battery life is so-so (about 3-4 hours of continuous use). It's easy to charge in the car though. The connection is a little wonky with the iPhones (2G) -- needs to be reconnected every now and then. Seems more solid with the iPad and the MacBooks.

Lastly speed is good but not great. I was hoping I could use VOIP apps and downsize or even eliminate my voice plan, but the quality is terrible on every device I've tried. I've never had a 3G plan so maybe 3G in general isn't fast enough for VOIP? It might be just VM's 3G where I live (SF Bay Area). Also on speedtest the download speed is fair but upload speed is pretty low so maybe that ruins the VOIP quality?

So overall I like the VM wifi. It's a good price for unlimited 3G shareable data. Also great that there is no contract -- I can stop and start by month depending on what I need or if something better comes along. Just wish VOIP was an option with it!

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Virgin mobile uses Sprint's tower for 3G coverage. They are just another CDMA carrier for pre-paid service.
    I use Clear iSpot 4G. They also use Sprint Wi-max Network. I pay 25 dollars a month for unlimited data usage. For the speed I get from 2MB-6MB. If I get lucky, I go all the way up to 9MB. But, that usually doesn't happen.
    Bottom line, I think iSpot 4G and Virgin Mobile are two best options. Clear iSpot 4G is ridiculous cheap compare to even Virgin mobile, but their coverage is very limited. But, if you only travel in local like me and you have a coverage, then iSpot is very good.

7. TheXIIIth macrumors member

I've been using VM MiFi for a few weeks now with my WiFi iPad and I like it. I find turning it off can be tricky sometimes because you almost have to precisely time the moment to stop pressing the power button because if you hold it too long, it turns itself back on again. Battery life is good but this thing does get hot when you're pulling down some data.

8. doboy macrumors 68000

Can the device be charged via car charger with an USB port? Also can you charge and use the wifi at the same time?

9. cprevost macrumors newbie

You can use it while charging via wall charger. Won't work if plugged into laptop for some reason. Speed is marginal at best. Not quite up to par for video. A 5 minute youtube clip will lag and buffer a number of times before playing. I'm sure this varies by location. I'm in the Portland, OR area. Works with my ipad, ipod, macbook pro flawlessly.

10. doboy macrumors 68000

thanks for the info

11. jwhite4304 macrumors member

jwhite4304

I have the vm mifi and it works fine for my iPad and MacBook and I choose when to pay or store.