Anyone else using a Linksys WRT-54GL ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dolphin842, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

About a month ago I set up a new wireless network with a Linksys WRT-54GL, the one with the GPL-licensed firmware. All in all it's been the most reliable router I've had... haven't had to restart it yet though there have been some intermittent connection problems every now and then.

Given that the router has more flash memory than the normal WRT-54G, it's been customary for people to get this router with the intent of flashing the firmware with a more feature-rich linux-based system. I haven't done so yet, but I'm curious if anyone here on the forums has done so and could provide their experience as to whether or not flashing the firmware made any significant difference in regards to performance, connection quality, etc. I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it or not to spend the time playing around with it.

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Funny you should mention that. A guy at work uses a flashed wrt router and swears by it. He also runs a webserver out of a closet. I'm going to pick one up and have him help me set it up. You have to watch out for the different revision numbers becuase there are a ton of different revisions of each model.

Zack

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

Can't say as to performance, since i've been using DD-WRT for a couple years and don't really remember running the old way. But it's been rock steady, i maybe have to reboot 2 or 3 times a year, but i think that has mostly been modem related.

You get more features and customizability with the linux firmware, than you ever will from a manufacturer.

as long as you are semi-computer savvy (or at least can solve most of your own computer problems with the help of the google), it would recommend it.

4. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

well its been a bit tougher then i thought. its hard to find that model in stock at stores around here. And I'm super hestitant to buy online because I won't know the rev. number from an online service.

Zack

5. rthall macrumors newbie

I have two. Well not really... I have the version of the 54GS before the RAM and flash were reduced. It's essentially the same hardware is the 54GL. Neither are used for wireless except when guests come over. They are very flexible devices. I use one for my gateway which also provides an IPv6 tunnel to my network, and the other is dedicated as an openvpn server. By the way, my OSX auto-configured itself for IPv6 out of the box. I will have to agree that the devices are rock solid for wired connections.

It helps to have a Linux background to really take full use of the devices. There are great resources in the internet. Google is your friend.

The hardware is a bit long in the tooth and I'm not happy with the wireless performance of either one with stock firmware or custom firmware. I'll go with an N router when I get to a point of needing wireless at the house.