Anyone else using Calibre to convert PDF into EPUB? (Help!)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duelingdragons, Apr 30, 2010.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

The conversions themselves work great and the books look good, but the Table of Contents isn't populating, even with the option in Calibre turned on..

Any ideas??
    Thanks!

2. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

Most people gave up on calibre, converting pdfs to epub is hard , especially if theres pictures, text goes crazy too.

Get a good pdf reader i use Cloud Readers its free. I also recommend because it has its own brightness controls
    at night eeven if you lower all the brightness on your iPad its still to damn bright. With Cloud Readers you can even go lower, perfect if you dont want to go blind.

Also you should guy GoodReader is a file manager for the iPad.

Im sure some guys going to come and say , calibre works great for me lol.

3. jamesrg macrumors newbie

Tried it too much of a hassle. I would spend the .99 on Goodreader. Just my 2 cents.

4. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

also some problems i had with calibre are:

text fonts crazy
    pictures disappeared
    when clicked on the book in ibooks it crashes or its painfully slow.

5. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I spent some time trying to make this work. I found the best way to do it was start from a text file, not a PDF. A PDF is just going to create a mess. I found the best results from using a combination of both Stanza and Calibre (to fix formatting just right) if I was going into iBooks.

6. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

so day i download a pdf, you want me to convert it into a text and then into a epub?

7. Stngray macrumors member

After you convert with calibre, try using Sigil to edit/add toc.

8. Zdob macrumors newbie

9. zen macrumors 68000

zen

The new version of Calibre (0.6.52) includes a new iPad output option (run the Welcome Wizard again, or select iPad as an output when converting).

I don't have an iPad to test, but using Adobe Digital Editions to read the epub file the text formatting still seems borked.

10. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Have not had any issues with Calibre for iPad conversion in my limited use so far. Maybe I have the latest version, I think it's a great piece of software

[not linked in any way to the developers, btw]

11. Tulipone macrumors 6502

...so do I, but maybe my expectation is lower? I have found that all the pdf files that I have converted have been find - sometimes there are early line returns of fumbled formatting but nothing that stops me from enjoying the book.

12. ben12345 macrumors newbie

I have the new version of Calibre and don't see an IPAD option as an output option. It lists: EPUB; FB2; LIT; FRF:MOBI:pDB: PDF; PMLZ; RB;RTF;TCR and TXT but not IPAD. Also not sure how to rerun the Welcome Wizard.

13. ScrewTheDaisies macrumors regular

I convert PDF files to HTML before bringing them into Calibre and converting thtem to ePub. I haven't really paid attention to tables of contents, but I do knoe that doing this has resolved issues of lines breaking in strange places.

14. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

How are you converting them to HTML? Through Acrobat?

Thanks for any help! The broken lines are driving me bonkers..

15. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I second sigil with calibre. PDF is a notoriously bad format to try to convert from. Depending on how the PDF is formatted, you might need to spend a lot of time in sigil fixing it.

If you can get the source as text or lib, it generally converts better.

Edit: I've found that use a line break value of 0.35 or 0.4 works pretty well, but you will still need to do some manual editing.

16. ScrewTheDaisies macrumors regular

Yeah, I either do a save as or export to HTML from Acrobat, but Adobe also has a free online converter at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html