Anyone else using the "passcode lock" on their iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Sep 19, 2008.

?

Do you utilize the "passcode lock" feature on your iPhone

1. No, it's too much trouble

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Yes, immediately

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  3. Yes, after 1 minute

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Yes, after 5 minutes

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. Yes, after 15 minutes

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. Yes, after 1 hour

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Yes, after 4 hours

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. Maybe, I haven't decided

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've recently started using this feature every time I leave the house. I've set it for locking after (1) hour, despite their suggestion that "shorter times are more secure" at the bottom of the screen. I like the idea that my information is wiped after (10) failed attempts.:cool:

2. STC macrumors 6502a

I do. I have mine to set to lock in 5 mins.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do most of the time after walking in my office finding someone looking at the games I had. They didn't really see much, but there were some text messages to someone I wished they hadn't seen (assuming they saw). However, I turn it off often and usually when I'm with the very person I would be texting. ;)

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have mine set to four hours. Not very "secure" I know, but I guess I'm more interested in it locking up if it's been left out for that long unattended.

5. mikelliott macrumors member

I set mine immediately. My luck calls for it.

6. nutts macrumors member

Mine's on 4 hours as well, so I only have to enter it first thing in the morning. If somebody gets hold of it then the first time they turn it off or leave it overnight it'll lock. Of course they'll probably have wiped it by then anyway.

I wish Apple could come up with some sort of way to easily activate the lock outside the timer, such as double-clicking the power button or something, dunno.

7. Witty lama macrumors member

I would love to see this lock function made network specific.

That is, when you're at home - and logged on to your WiFi network - the phone doesn't lock. But when you are not at home it reverts to the default settings.

This obviously requires more functionality than the phones currently have but it could be built very easily, I think, because the phone already "remembers" networks in order to store their passwords. All Apple would have to do is allow you to make network-specific settings.

Another outcome of this would be I could automatically change my (musical) ringtone to something more normal when I'm at work.

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I use it on my iPod touch all the time, I dont want people screwing around with my stuff!

9. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

too much trouble, but the 4 hour one sounds manageable

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am only on a touch, but I have mine set for 4 hours, I just found any amount of time less than that too much of a nuisance.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

For me its more of a necessity than a statement!

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Considering how if you don't use a lock a theif can gain access to personal email, texts, pictures, and passwords yeah--I definitely have the lock set to immediate. It's a pain though.

13. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I have mine set to lock immediately and erase after 10 attempts.

Last year, my phone got taken away from my in school by a teacher because she saw a bulge in my pocket. The teacher went through my texts and I got in trouble. Apparently, they can punish you for calling your spanish teacher a stupid bitch even though you sent the text message outside of school. They also deleted a bunch of messages and pictures on my phone. So, obviously, I need to have it locked.

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Wow, that is bull. I can understand that they may have the right to search your phone and punish you for anything found on it (my school does and has), but they can't possibly have the rights to delete anything off of it. Legally that must go down as destruction of property or something like that.

15. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I just restored it from backup, but yeah, it probably was illegal.

16. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I definitely passcode lock mine. Some of my texts are not meant to be shared with everyone... lol

17. joshuaaaron macrumors member

my friends! are grabby. haha i set it to after a min, cuz id be texting people and having to type that code in every 59 secs!