Anyone else waiting for a MBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maclook, Jun 11, 2011.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

In Oct 2010, Apple released the MBA and said that it was the future of Apple laptops (paraphrased), but the past MPB update doesn't support that statement. I'm in the market for a new MBP, but I wasn't satisfied with the past release so I'll continue to wait. My current MBP is 4 years old and still runs great so I'm not in a huge rush but plan on treating myself to a new MBP for better battery, higher res screen, and thinner form factor (removal of CD drive?). If I were ready to upgrade last year I would have, but now I'm officially in wait mode until the MBP design is refreshed. I think the MBA is beautiful, but I need the extra power and don't mind the added heft for it. I also think the MBA is too expensive.

I would love for the MBP to be updated during the summer, but my realistic guess is that it will be refreshed later in the fall/winter because Apple seems so reluctant to update the MB line. Buyer's guide says the MBP line is mid-cycle, but I don't think it's a normal case since the last couple updates were simple (though significant) spec bumps. What are your guesses?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I don't think we'll be seeing them drop the DVD drive just yet. Furthermore, I don't think we'll be see to much a size decrease soon due the restrictions with cooling. Ivy Bridge Processors are something to wait for.

3. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

The major update you are looking for will not happen until there are new CPUs in March of 2012 (Ivy Bridge Refresh). Anything from this year will be a tiny CPU spec bump, nothing really worth worrying over.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would wait just yet. The current models are still pretty new yet, and I don't see any size dropping off of the MBP (which is probably the lightest in pounds per performance on the market) until we see lower wattage CPUs with the same performance.

5. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

unless they were to release a new design, but i doubt it. 10 to 12 month cycles are normal.

6. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

I see now that the article talking about a new design being developed is scheduled for "next year" (2012). That's a shame. 4 years is a long time for absolutely no changes in design, especially when we're talking about Apple. I mean, how easy would it be for them to at least add the MBA's high res screen? They had a thunderbolt port but no high res screen. :(

7. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

dont listen to all the BS, new mbp are coming out in march 2012 along with ivy bridge which promises to run cooler, they are getting rid of the optical drive (get over it already) and probably going with ssd+hdd or ssd only and of course new design, maybe tapered, but i think still alu, not liquid metal

why im so sure about this? because its the next step, mark my words

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The problem with waiting is the next version will always be better. Spring of 2012 is a long way to wait for a redesign and I don't think you'll see a refresh till this Fall.

You are missing out on a lot of fun! I would buy now so you can jump in and have fun!

Cheers!
    -P

9. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I don't see things getting interesting for MBP users until Haswell, the successor to Ivy Bridge, arrives in 2013.

At that point, the convergence between MBA and MBP will be complete.

10. serafnazimi macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is always something better around the coriner.. I'm sure that even in 2012 there will be something better just about.. I see no point in waiting if you are already pleased with what you have and / or if update is not very close.. With new design thing we are looking for at least one year wait

11. Gabbelito, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

Gabbelito macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as you OP.
    I got the 2011 MBP but it didn't meet my expectations GPU-wise so I returned it. Now I'm waiting for a refresh which I really do hope will occur this Fall.

If just Apple would give me a release date...

12. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

If anything occurs this Fall, it will be a minor speed bump - not the MBP in a MBA's body kind of redesign some are peeing in their pants for. I doubt that will fully happen even next year with Ivy Bridge.

13. Gabbelito macrumors newbie

What could a possible speed bump be?
    Better GPU perhaps?

I'd like to see a redesign with more external buttons and stuff, but if they could spec the 15" base with a GPU with atleast 512MB, then I'd buy.

14. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Faster SNB processors, or the same hardware at a lower price point. All doubtful.

15. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

Whens the last time an Apple product hasn't been redesigned/tweaked for 4 years. Even the iMac got updated. I'm not trying to be a new product snob, but my '07 MBP is the first computer that has lasted me so long. I'm not trying to get a product design that is at the end of it's life cycle since I expect it to last another 4-5 years. Anyone who doesn't understand that must think that macrumors frequenters are just normal humans and not Apple/tech/design geeks.

16. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the macbook pros were just updated with pretty nice specs in february.

even thiough we havent seen a huge design change, its still a solid nice computer that hp dell etc are still trying to compete with. ive started to see hp and other companies coming out with more metal body style laptops, like the hp envy and most laptops now have chicklet style keys like the macbook pro.

in terms of waiting forthe new ones, i got the new 2011 macbook pro 15inch in march. i NEEDED a laptop now as i am going to university this fall and obviously need a computer, so went all out on the 15inch. its a great computer with nice specs and the latest processor from intel.

if my hp desktop i got in 2006 can last 5 years and its still going, this macbook pro should last me through 4 years of university LOL

buy now and enjoy what u have

there will alwys be something new around the corner. anything u buy is obsolute when u take it to the counter LOL

17. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

As much as I'd like (and was latching on to the rumors prior to the latest version) a physical update this year, I'd just assume wait for Ivy Bridge internals.

SSD prices should be dropping considerably in the next 12 months, but here's hoping it comes in time to include one on board "stock".

I'll also be disappointed if they dont move from the aluminum...it seems to have hit the limits on thermals and form factor.

18. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Erm, the current MBP is relatively new. It has state-of-the-art hardware. People will get anxious about a refresh as soon as they read that X components are ready for shipment (ie. Ivy Bridge)