Anyone else waiting for Blu-ray support?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by svalentine, Jul 5, 2009.

1. svalentine macrumors regular

I'm ready to purchase a new mac but I can't see spending 2 or 3 grand and still not getting a blu-ray drive built in direct from Apple. I thought something would be announced at WWDC, so now I wait for Macworld in January. :(

Anyone else in need of blu-ray on their mac?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not to be rude, but this issue has been beat to death here on the boards

If you use MRoogle and search for blu-ray, you will find a lot of opinions

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I think you are going to be waiting a long while...

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are not really in need.

I agree with Tallest Skill's sig, this is not Yahoo Answers.

But, we aren't the national polling center either.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Take a look here for one of the latest discussions and opinions

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Honestly, I don't even want it. Single layer BR disk costs +10€ so there's no usage for burning BR movies etc. BR would only add $$$ nothing more. Optical drives are yesterday, downloading and buying through net is today, no need for disks. I've used my optical in my iMac twice, tested it when it came with a movie and to install Windows 7 RC. I already have a PS3 to play BR movies if I want and 1080p isn't full screen on any Mac screen

If you really need BR, get external BR drive and install Windows. Honestly, are you ready to pay $200+ to watch BR movies? HDTVs are so cheap now, 32" goes for less than 400€ and BR player is ~200€

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

True my MacBook Pro screen isn't 1080i but I would love to have the ability to watch the blu-rays I've already purchased while I am on the road. I too have a PS3 and multiple blu-ray players around the house but this is about the convenience of being able to play what I won on the road. 50 gig backups would be nice too

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No, absolutely not. BluRay is an obsolete medium and already was one at the day of its conception. Furthermore, it's so DRM-infested that nobody should support it by buying the stuff.

What I want are legal, DRM-free mp4 movie downloads below 5 Euros. It's a consumer-friendly price and the maximum that can be asked for something that does not come on a physical medium.

And I don't want to "rent" movie downloads - the entire concept is an insult to consumers.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is NO MacWorld in January anymore.

There will be NO Blu-ray in Macs for years, if at all.

I don't want it, either. Screw it. I even have a Blu-ray/HD DVD drive, and all I use it for is ripping my HD DVDs to watch in iTunes. If you're going to watch HD movies, get them in iTunes when iTunes offers 1080p.

Heh. You keep thinking that. I'll live in the reality of capitalism and high prices forced by ISP costs.

10. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

your crazy. not only is it being adopted quicker than DVD, it has way less regions and not only that but better video and sound quality. Stop with this download junk, has anyone been paying attention to how your ISP wants to soft cap your broadband and make you pay more for what your already getting right now? Physical media is here to stay for at least another 10 years in the US

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Downloading is today and future. Physical media is yesterday. Virtual media is better for environment and usually costs less (no need for disk, shipping etc). Of course it sounds crazy to put credit card everywhere and just buy something with few clicks but it really works. Albums costs ~20€ here in Finland when bought from store but only 10€ from iTunes Store. That's 10€ for almost nothing.

Faster internets are coming and movies can be downloaded within minutes in future.

I'll gladly skip Blu-Ray and get 110MB/s internet connection and download movies

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*Looks at current 1.5Mb/s Internet connection*

*slips into speed-fantasy-induced coma* :D

I'm sure you meant Mb and not MB, right? The latter would take about twice as long.

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Downloaded movies are the future, but to say they are the present is a stupid statement. A large amount of the world doesnt have a connection fast enough to make downloading a 1080p 7.1channel movie even plausible unless they compress the hell out of it, at which point you might as well just rent the 720p copy. Yes, i said rent. Buying something online never really "buys" anything, you just have the ability to watch that movie until apple or the movie distributor dont feel like letting you watch it any more.
    Blu-ray isnt obsolete, apple just wants more of your money and they can get that by renting you movies in itunes.

But the disc contains uncompressed 48k wav files. The extra quality is easily worth it for me.

14. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

That is lost on a lot of people. a lot of people actually think Apple's "HD content" is actually true 1080p content.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, yeah Mb not MB, sorry. I have only 2Mb/s now and I pay almost the same price as 110Mb/s costs :mad: Waiting for fiber cable...

I like to buy CDs. It's the feeling you can't beat, the feeling of new, fresh album. Immortal's All Shall Fall *dreaming*

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hmm. Because this is a 1080p movie, and the file is only 4GB. The audio is 160 kbps AAC, but that can easily be changed. It's only blurry here because I had to turn the image quality down for the forums.

[​IMG]

Keep telling yourself that.

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I already have it. ;)

18. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

and that 4gb file looks as good as a blu-Ray?
    Numbers aren't everything

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've compared my ripped HD DVDs directly to the disk playing, and I can't tell a difference.

Me: The stickler who believes that all televisions 50" and larger should be Super Hi-Vision. :p

20. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Actually, Yes i would like Macs to support blue. Who doesn't want extra functions for their laptops !!

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd take no Blu-ray over a 2 hour movie-watching battery any day.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes they should!!! Was it 2012 when they come?

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Japan, only. :eek:

They start limited Super Hi-Vision TV broadcasts that year, I believe, so they'll have to have something to watch them on.

U.S., probably 2015; which is where I got my original Blu-ray on Macs idea.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We don't even have HD broadcasts for free here in Finland yet :mad: It costs 50€/month to watch foreign HD channels. Super Hi-Vision broadcasts, hmm, maybe 2050 here in Finland :D

Another question, SH-V will use HDMI, right?

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't know... Can HDMI output 7680x4320? :eek::p

Okay, uncompressed, SH-V is 24 Gbps (wow), and HDMI's max bandwidth is 10.2 Gbps, so it would have to be compressed to use HDMI.