Anyone Else Waiting For GOOGLE CHROME?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Jun 10, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I could've sworn I heard Chrome was supposed to come out for Mac users by the end of the 1st half of 2009.

I've been eagerly waiting for Chrome to come out and I really hope I'm not alone.

I've used Firefox for years and Safari sparingly but am sure I'd move everything to Google Chrome the day it comes out.

I've used Safari 4 quite a bit since it came out earlier this week and admit i'm impressed, especially at how quick Google Maps works. However don't Safari and Chrome run the same engine?

On Firefox the only customization I have are the add-ons such as Ad Block Plus and a few more, mostly dealing with Google.

Really what I use most in Firefox is the Google Toolbar, which i'm sure Chrome will have that covered.

Iono, if anyone is highly anticipating Chrome as I am and has any info on when it's coming i'd love to hear, so feel free to post a reply.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Chrome... meh

I don't see the fascination with browsers
    I get the Firefox plug-in deal for those who want such things
    But other than that... it is a browser... a tool
    The sites I visit are my focus, not the browser that gets me there

Safari is fine for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

My life is so intrigrated with Google that I feel when the browser comes out it'll be a fresh breath of air coming my way.

Gmail, Gcal, Notebook, Maps, my News, Docs (Oh Docs), Reader, Bookmarks....

Mainly the only things I do online require my Google.

Gmail is main, Gcal second, maps when I need it, Notebook has countless folders full of reference (Thing that sucks is that I can't change my Google Account since new Google Accounts no longer offer the notebook feature), Reader is my Gateway to the internet to see my interests and prevent me from wasting time online, bookmarks sync to anywhere i'm signed on and not just one computer,...i'm sure there's more but you get the idea.

4. foosh macrumors newbie

Yeah I cannot wait for Chrome to reach even Beta status on OS X. Especially now that Safari 4 has made the regression from tabs on top to tabs that waste space, I will immediately switch to Chrome for as much of my browsing as possible once they get Flash working.

To the person who doesn't see the big deal... SPEED is one. Google is obsessed with speed and scalability, and Chrome blows Firefox away on speed. Easily. The other is technology. In addition to many other great things Chrome does, it puts each tab in its own thread, so that if Flash crashes for example, only one tab is affected and not the entire session.

If you are interested in getting started with the INCOMPLETE, "Dev Channel" releases of Chrome for Mac, first read this blog post: http://blog.chromium.org/2009/06/danger-mac-and-linux-builds-available.html

Then you will probably want to also visit http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com on a regular basis to see what's new.

Hope that helps.

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Technically Chrome's tabs on top of the address bar still wastes space. They are not in the title bar like the Safari 4 Beta, which is the only place they would actually save space. I just laugh when people say that Apple copied Chrome when puting tabs in the title bar. It is not even close to the same at all, other than that it is above the address bar in a way, instead of below it.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Chromium plug-in for FF works great for me. :) Though I'll surely give it a try when it comes out.

7. macbook yes macrumors 6502

Is anyone else a bit concerned in how much google has grown? In the next 50 years we could be calling in the googleweb instead of the Internet. Sure it's useful, but they have bought numerous websites, and have a lot of helpful tools, but it's weird how much we let google become involved. We have google checkout along with all the other services listed above. It's useful, sure, but it gets to a point where you have to get a little suspicious of how much of the internet is controlled by google.

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

true.

but it is useful.

goo-gle! goo-gle! goo-gle!

I was thinking, Google is probable gonna own the planet one day...and when they do, they're gonna rename it Google Earth.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm not going to bother with Chrome, mainly because I don't trust Google. Props to those willing to put their personal information under the control of a large corporation though.

10. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I've downloaded and tried the Developer builds on Intel Mac hardware. It's not bad but too scant in features.

I don't see what I gain using Google's browser - which is based on Webkit; when I can use Safari, which has all the features I want. Is based on Webkit and is more attractive on Mac OS. :confused:

11. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

For me it's basically Safari, but less customizable and with questionable privacy protection. Since I also don't really use Google's online programs (except GMail), I don't really care about it.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not at all interested.

Even Chrome on windows is pretty flawed. I have to uninstall it off of work computers all the time because its not loading pages with flash or java correctly. Its really not that fast either.

Its in its infancy maybe I'll give it a chance later but nothing I saw amazed or wowed me.

13. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

:) and with Google flying through versions like there's no tomorrow, Google Chrome 18 might just have the similar feature-set to Safari 4.

14. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Only advantage I see to Chrome is that each tab is its own process, so one misbehaving site that crashes a tab doesn't crash the whole browser...hopefully FF implements that feature soon.

15. deurbroucq macrumors newbie

I use Safari on my Macbook but Chrome on my Windows desktop and VM. I would definitely give Chrome a try on my Macbook since Safari gives me fits every now and then.

The security sandboxing is nice on Chrome and it is pretty fast on Windows. It faired very well in the latest Pwn2Own event (Safari on Mac fell in less than 2 minutes). However, Chrome is a resource hog.

16. ez4u2sa67 macrumors member

ez4u2sa67

If you guys are waiting for Google Chrome then I suggest trying out Stainless which is pretty much like Google Chrome and has flash. It is also very fast!

17. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

18. twombles62 macrumors member

Stainless is useless as a proper brower at the moment as it doesn't have features like bookmarks due to it being incomplete, but still, it is superfast.

19. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Understandable....leave out a bunch of features the other browsers have and it stands to reason your code will run faster.

20. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Stainless has bookmarks. I actually like its bookmarks shelf way more than I do other browsers' bookmarks bars.

Chrome's tabs are in the title bar. You just need it maximized.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me,
    I'm not a google fan and the last thing I need is yet another browser. Safari handles 99% of my needs, and for the 1% I have firefox.

22. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I do!
    Well pleased with Camino, but more options are always nice. Especially since Google Chrome for MS Windows seems promising...

23. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Meh I have run Chrome on my Mac and its nothing special. I realize its not final yet so its hard to judge, but Safari 4 does everything I need it to, and its plenty fast.

24. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Then as far as I'm concerned, they're not in the title bar. I never ever maximize browser windows. (Or any other window for that matter).

Too constrictive.

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden