Anyone else waiting for larger SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lloyd709, Oct 25, 2012.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

Anyone know why larger SSDs are not appearing?

I know OWC have a larger one but this seems to be the only one and it's off the slower type and I would have to import it to England so it would be really expensive.

It seems like 500gig SSDs have been out for ages now! I don't know exactly how long but it must be more than a year. I really want something larger (about 700gigs) so I'm holding out but i've been holding out now for a about a month thinking one is going to appear any day but nothing!!

Anyone any news, ideas, thoughts?

2. Maczor macrumors regular

Not really... I've ordered the 768GB model for the 13" rMBP.
    For my needs, it's plenty... I don't store movies or music on it.
    If you need to store such things, rather get an external HDD on USB 3.0

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Current nand dies are 64GBit with 8KB Page sizes. Todays controllers can only handle so many of those. That is why those bigger than 512GB usually use two controllers.
    Next year the 128GBit 16KB Page sizes nand will show. Which should mean that the new 512GB will be 1TB. It will take a while until prices will truly show that but in a year you can expect to see lots of 1TB drives and 512GB should reach todays 256GB price points at in 2014 maybe already at the end of 2013.

If they really wanted they can make faster big drives by just slamming together some SSDs in RAID but most people cannot afford them anyway so they don't bother. The volume they could sell just isn't worth the effort.

4. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Get an external disk - didn't think of that! Thanks!!!