Anyone else waiting for the next ~refresh~

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. chefwong macrumors 6502

    Jan 17, 2008
    Current MBP works fairly well.
    Just wish it had a higher res and more memory ( 4 vs 8)....
    I've got a 2K Apple Gift Card sitting in my drawer and debating whether to just spring for the new MBP or just wait till fall/winter for the proposed *lifecycle design change* on the MBP...

    Decisions, Decisons...
  2. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    Probably gonna be a CPU speed bump in the summer. I don't see the GPU changing nor the design until 2012 when Ivy Bridge is released.
  3. iZero macrumors regular

    Mar 8, 2011
    Nothing wrong with waiting :) But, it's one of those things... There will always be something new just a couple of months away. As long as you're happy with your current laptop, there's really no reason to change. And if you think you'd be better off with a new one, there's no reason to wait. Rumors are quite often wrong/wildly inaccurate. If you wait 3 or 4 months based on an incorrect rumor, then you really will be only 3 or 4 more months away, and then it will be "2012, or 2013?" :p

    If you're happy now, there's no reason to buy now :) But if you're unhappy with your current one, there's no reason really to wait, unless there's a specific problem that crops up with the current models, or something you dislike about them.
  4. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

    Nov 11, 2010
    US East Coast
    Nope, just you ;) :D

    I have a nearly new 2010 MBP 13". I thought about selling it for the 2011, but I would really like to see a few changes. Among them:

    1) Either an anti-glare, standard resolution screen, or resolution independence so that I could comfortably use a high-resolution one.

    2) Anti-glare option for 13"

    3) New case design without sharp edges.

    Of course there are plenty of other things I wouldn't mind, but those are the ones that would make me buy a new machine RIGHT NOW, even though I *have* a nearly-new one already.
  5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    May 6, 2010
    New York
    Nope. I'm finally enjoying my MBP without wondering when I'm going to be able to buy a quad. Cause now I've got one and it even kept my beloved SuperDrive!
  6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604


    May 28, 2005
    I'll probably upgrade when 1/2 of the following happen:

    • A better screen in the 13"
    • USB 3.0
    • Redesign
    • Quad-core
    • HDD bump
    • better graphcis card
  7. ender land macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2010
    I'll get a new computer when I need it.

    Currently have 2010 13" and it serves me fine.
  8. chefwong thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 17, 2008
    I returned the new 13". I could not ~force~ myself to like\love the resolution....
    Too much scrolling but preferred the weight savings. I travel 7-10 days out a month these days.
  9. djp2 macrumors member

    Jan 16, 2010
    Re: the total redesign expected in 2012. I kind of doubt this rumor. MBPs are fairly mature at this point (similar to the iMac), so constant design changes seem unnecessary. After all, the first unibody 17" wasn't even released until 2009, so it might be a bit early for a total overhaul.
  10. mike2732 macrumors member

    Feb 22, 2011
    Guy no matter how long you wait, no matter when you get it, there's always going to be a refresh with better, faster MacBooks. There's no avoiding it. I say buy now, because the next update will be a small one spec's wise. Maybe a 100-200 MHz bump, but nothing major.
  11. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 28, 2008
    better 13inch

    I'll be waiting until apple stops gimping the 13inch MBP to upgrade. A better screen with an anti-glare option is a must. If that doesn't happen I'll wait for the 13 MBA to get a good perfomance upgrade. Basically anything that gives me portable power without that stupid glass.

    Luckily my current computer should last me a while...
  12. mike2732 macrumors member

    Feb 22, 2011
    That's what I was hoping for this update, that they would improve the 13" res and add anti-glare. But let's face it, the size difference between 13" and 15" is minor, yet the spec difference is HUGE.

    Might as well go for the 15" now.
  13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

    Jethryn Freyman

    Aug 9, 2007
    Only if I can't afford one until next refresh :)
  14. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 2, 2010
    I'm waiting at the moment, hoping that there'll be an early 2012 update with quad core in the 13". I'd also like to get a MBP released after Lion.

    My current MacBook came with 10.4 and has since been updated to 10.5 and 10.6. It should be able to run 10.7, but that'll be about it.

    Early next year once there's been a few point releases of Lion could be the perfect time for me to upgrade to a new MBP.

    I'd like to see USB 3, Blu-Ray (I'm dreaming), new 3rd party SSD models + price drop and the price of a 16GB RAM upgrade (2x8GB) drop. I'll probably want my MBP to have 8GB RAM then upgrade it to 16GB RAM a few years later. In a couple of years from now 8GB RAM modules are still likely to cost a lot, but in three years prices should be far more reasonable.
  15. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2007
    I like my 2010 2.66
    no need to upgrade at all until a design change, but maybe not.
  16. skier777 macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2010
    I would bet it will be a lot more than a .1-.2 Ghz bump.
    You realize that the processors are going to be on the smaller die, meaning that they will probably have more room to play with as well as lower power consumption so I see no reason why we couldn't have a quad core 2.6 or 2.8 ghz processor in the 2012 MBP.
  17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Oct 14, 2010
    I might wait for a couple of refresh cycles before upgrading
  18. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

    Dec 26, 2009
    Remember what Apple said on the release of new MacBook Airs in October 2010: this is the future of MacBooks. MacBooks, not MacBook Airs! - meaning, the whole line of MacBooks will be redesigned soon. I believe October 2011 will bring the new design with SSD-only, much slimmer profile, lower weight.

    I think for owners of 2010 MBPs it's worth waiting for the next model. I have 2010 17" i7 2.66GHz 8GB with SSD and 500GB HDD and this thing flies!
  19. Mac767 macrumors newbie

    Mar 4, 2011
    I have a PC, and i´ve been waiting since last year for the MBP to "overhaul" to buy one and replace muy old PC...
    So, you see, there was this rumor, that after the release of the new MBA, all macbooks were going to be slimmer since it was suposed to be the "next generation of macbooks", so I waited...february came and the new MBP came up... no redesign, still holding the superdrive and same resolution...

    Now, here I am, with a broken, breathless PC about to die, and I can´t wait anymore! kinda made the decision I couldn't make for months lol...

    So my advice is that if you need it, want it, buy it!, there´s always going to be something new around the corner, and maybe, you won´t even like the new redesign! :D
  20. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

    Nov 12, 2009
    I don't think we'll see a major MBP redesign unless Apple ditches or has an alternative for the ethernet port. If you look closely, the port is already of almost same thickness as the MBP and a tapered design change would either a) necessitate a thicker MBP at its thickest point to achieve the taper or b) require removal of ethernet port so that adequate thinness can be maintained.
  21. acidfast7 macrumors 65816


    Nov 22, 2008
    I have a 13" 2008 unibody MacBook. Why would I buy a new machine ... it still looks just like the new MBPs ... thanks apple for keeping me up to date :D

    And to be honest, it runs everything I need it to quite well!
  22. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

    Tears Apart

    Jun 10, 2009
    Outside Closer
    Yes wait... until they appear in the refurb store ;)
  23. steeex macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2010
    Totally agree about the resolution issue on the 13". I had a mid 2010 one and never loved it, just upgraded to a used 15" i7. I'm on my final year of my phd so I really need come processing muscles, otherwise i would have gone for an Air...which no doubt will be my next upgrade, sometimes in 2012......

Share This Page