Anyone else waiting on the Bold...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slick316, Jul 27, 2008.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

before deciding to upgrade to the 3G iPhone?

I currently own the 1st gen, but didn't feel the need to upgrade to the new one right away because I am also a fan of the Blackberry and wanted to see what the Bold was like.

I am eagerly waiting for it to release so I can read the reviews and see one for myself and compare the two.

Anyone else holding off on the 3G iPhone for another device?

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I'm waiting for the 32gb 10mp camera version my self.
    BB's just don't hold any interest for me.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The bold is all keyboard and a tiny screen (Does such hi-res really matter on such a tiny screen? IMO it's a waste)

Score one more for the megapixel myth lovers!

4. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

32GB w/10MP camera? Do tell ;)

Honestly, I am also hoping for some news on a 32GB model. My 8GB doesn't hold much in terms of movies, 32GB would be great (but I'll settle on 16GB :) )

5. GNice macrumors 6502

In a word No. I've had several BB models (currently have a Pearl via my job) and unless the Bold is a super, super, major league improvement it still won't be close to the iPhone in my opinion.

6. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand, but I mentioned about other devices. Just trying to gauge information on what some might be waiting for before using there upgrade on a 3G iPhone.

And I am also waiting to see how much improvement the OS has seen, because the hardware, well, I'm sold on it.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Actually I can't wait to get the BB Bold to complement my iphone 3g and my iphone first gen. I collect a lot of cell phones.

I think the BB Bold has the same processor as the Bold (624 mhz) and a similar resolution, although a smaller screen but has the physical keyboard. Plus it's also 3g and I believe their browser will finally be updated.

It's going to be a fine device and will appeal to business users. ATT needs to be very price sensitive when the Bold finally comes out. I do not think they can charge more than $299 subsidized when it is released. I think RIM is purposely delaying the release because of the iPhones launch. They make the same excuse (software testing/3g battery life testing). The truth is that this device is probably ready for the market but it would be business suicide to release a device this close to the iPhone 3g.

Looks at RIM's stock price the past year. They aren't doing too bad in case you own their stock.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

lol the Bold.

We have many crackberries at work and they are about as useful as a paperweight compared to an iPhone.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Whats the point of posting this in this forum.

10. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, didn't realize this was the iPhone forum :rolleyes:

I see a lot of stupidity posted here, I was just asking a simple question, what device are you waiting for before you considering purchasing the 3G iPhone, thats all.

Simple question, many answers. No iPhone bashing or hating, just a discussion.

11. thecellar macrumors regular

I got a 16gb Iphone 3g, i like it....but when the blackberry bold comes out i think i may take a peek at it?

12. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I love my iPhone 3G and see no phone right now that I would give up my iPhone for.

The Bold is sexxxy though and I really would like to try it out. If the iPhone didn't exist I would probably have the Bold when it releases.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Prior to my using an Iphone, I had pretty much used all of the major smartphone platforms. I started out a looong time ago with a Qualcomm QCP-6035 and Palm OS. And from there I tried Blackberries, Windows Mobile devices, and a few Nokias. I'd switch frequently back and forth between the different device types through the years.

Then I ultiamtely traded my Treo 750 and Blackjack for an iPhone. To this date, I still haven't felt the need to go back to another platform, even after checking out some of the newer Blackberries and WM6 devices.

I'm not going to say that all of the other Smartphone OSes suck. Blackberries do e-mail really, really well. Windows Mobile has really grown over the years, and could be excellent if it was a bit more stable. Palm could also have a really stellar platform, if they just moved past what they released in 2001.

However, none of these devices work well for me over the long term. I'll use one and be happy for a while, until the phone's warts start to show, and then I'll get frustrated and start clamoring for the next device. I used to swap phones every couple of months.

On the other hand, I haven't moved away from the iPhone platform since I first tried it in July of 07. That's the longest I've owned a particular cell phone. And that's even after I spent January-June of '07 bashing it for its litany of shortcomings.

I do know that if for whatever reason I had to ditch my iPhone, I would probably switch to a Blackberry bold, or maybe a Motorola Q9.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

BB-B or any of those thingys are Yaaawwwnnnn...quite boring. I'm hoping they all come with a great big magnifying glass to see the lil' baby screen. LOL :D Can't beat the iPhone UI period...

15. chinl macrumors member

Because it can be useful to compare products and their relative merits and weaknesses. It is possible to like and enjoy something while acknowledging its faults.

16. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

One of the biggest iPhone advantages for me is the fact the phone itself, my mac, and mobile me all work together in a nice, seamless way.

There is no way that I am going to ditch my mac as my primary computer for a windows computer, even though BB's work best with windows.

But, at the end of the day, I am looking for the best device for me for when I need a mobile device. I mean seriously, we can't judge the Bold until it releases officially, right?

Hell, it's releasing this week I believe on Rogers in Canada. I am sure we will see some real world comparisons between the two soon. If its really just that bad and behind the iPhone in every way, you'll be seeing me post about how happy I am that I got the new 3G iPhone :)

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've also been keeping an eye on it, hoping it will be worthy of being my first Crackberry but i'm getting really impatient waiting for it. I don't know what RIM is doing wasting time

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Not at all

Brother-in-law is a big Blackberry guy and his company is offering free 3G iPhones to all lawyers in the firm for official use and he is ditching his Blackberry so quick that I am not sure he even cares what the Blackberry has coming out

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

I've used my fair share of smart phones (that did not run Windows Mobile) from RIM and others. My favorite phone for my needs is the iPhone because of the browser. The rest of the features are incidental compared to the importance of Mobile Safari (in my case), but it is nice to have the other features too.