anyone else want landscape view to be possible all the time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vertigo78, Oct 2, 2008.

1. vertigo78 macrumors regular

I love using safari in landscape and it would be great if more apps had this option. Even the home screen.

2. Amt macrumors regular

I think it'd be pretty awesome to be able to use the landscape view for the Springboard.

3. timmypv15 macrumors regular

Ive been hoping for it, but i think it might be a dead issue from apple.

it would make texting even faster haha

4. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I really couldnt care less. I type so much slower in landscape mode. I use portrait mode so much that i am way faster at it. I find landscape mode to type in is so much harder.
    I'd actually prefer to not have it as an option because it would be messy and most likely buggy.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

what kind of person are you. You prefer not to have options.

6. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I would LOVE landscape text. The keyboard in Safari is so nice and roomy and I'm much faster with it.

7. seattle macrumors 6502

It would be nice to read Emails in landscape. I sometimes forget I am reading Email and try to switch to landscape.

8. BigMac36 macrumors newbie

DITTO!!!

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If Apple put the landscape view in every app, the accelerometer would kill the battery because then it would have to be on all the time.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

YES. I agree with him that this is a bad option.

Why? Because I often find the phone rotating when I didn't mean it to. Like, when I'm lounging on the sofa and I end up leaning a little bit too far and the whole screen changes.

That's annoying, but it's worth putting up with it for things like 'Photos' in order to have screen rotating when I need it. So I just live with the annoyance because I get a benefit from having that ability in other situation. In other words, it's "worth it."

What I DON'T want is more instances of screen rotating in cases where I get no benefit. You can not type quickly with 2 thumbs in landscape text mode. The ONLY thing it benefits are 1-finger typers.

So this suggestion would annoy me (by adding more screen rotations) and benefit ONLY 1-finger typers (so it gains me nothing).

Something that annoys me with no positive trade-off is something I'm going to say 'no thanks' to.

This one I agree with. I'm not opposed to screen-rotating, I just think it needs to have a large benefit to make the trade-off worth it. Landscape keyboards don't have enough of a benefit. Wide-screen e-mails do.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I personally am not dying for more landcape-ness. I only want it there when it "makes sense".

And I agree about the tilt-when-you-don't-want-to syndrome. I'd like a way to set the threshold, so that it only goes landscape when the phone is completely put sideways.

12. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I would freaking love landscape to always be an option, but the 'battery draining' idea seems likely and pooey :(

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I could use Landscape mode in SMS... not because it will make me type fast but, instead because it will make it EASIER to hold the damn phone. Ever try texting with 2 thumbs while laying down... it's near impossible to keep a grip on the phone since your hands are so close together... I usually have to type with 1 finger when I lay down.

14. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Landscape texting = iRealSMS

the demo is available though Cydia.. obv your iPhone needs to be unlocked

its only a couple of quid to get the full version

been using it about a month now, pretty good!

15. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I (would) rarely use landscape mode.

Don't need it as an option either.

16. iblastoff macrumors 6502

some of these suggestions like "oh i prefer it NOT to be an option" are completely moronic.

what the phone needs is a UNIVERSAL on or off mode for landscape mode which would apply to apps that can allow screen rotation in the first place. some apps already have this in their own options (like jaadu).

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. To me, the iPhone is much more uncomfortable when I hold it landscape. I prefer portrait.