Other Anyone else wanting a new phone now but waiting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACG12, May 12, 2019.

  1. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2015
    My iPhone 7 has been very frustrating as of late and I’m ready to upgrade. I hate that everything in the background has to reload constantly while scrolling through apps. I’m guessing the 2gb of RAM is the culprit?

    I would like to get a xS, but Apple and retails stores refuse to discount a phone that is 8 months old. I refuse to pay retail price on one now since we’re about 4 months away from the new one coming out.

    Anyone else in a similar situation?
  2. PrettyWings macrumors regular

    Nov 3, 2016
    Had an X. Fell out of my pocket and shattered on asphalt. Switched to an old 6s Plus and replaced buttery but was still getting 6 hour battery life with light use. Gave in an upgraded to the XS Max about 1 month ago.

    Didn’t want to do it with less than a year to go, but feels good, man.
  3. internetrando macrumors 6502


    Jun 5, 2018
    Do whatever you want.

    Odds are that the new phone won’t be THAT much different than the current one. An updated camera, processor improvements, etc.

    The difference between the past few generations has been so marginal in so many ways it’s almost not even worth the upgrade unless you just want to.
  4. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2015
    I would upgrade for sure, but not for full retail price. Especially when the new one is 4 months away.
  5. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a


    Mar 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    You would expect them to discount the phones a bit. Maybe like $949 for an Xs 64gb after 6 months out? I do think carriers and third party retailer should offer some discounts, but they tend to be for customers that are buying two phones for two lines and not just one phone for one line.
  6. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2015
    The only good deal I’ve found is Target offering a $250 gift card on the 64gb gold xS. I might jump on that.
  7. unibility macrumors 6502a

    Apr 6, 2012
    Upgraded the X 256GB to XS 512GB only for more storage. Camera was a plus too.
  8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hard to make choices when we do not know what Apple will offer.
  9. Scott6666 macrumors 65816


    Feb 2, 2008
    Me. Have an 8+ that is too large. Was waffling on an XS since January. Likely on the Apple upgrade plan. Now it's too late in the year to do it. Might as well wait for September/October.
  10. one more macrumors 6502a

    one more

    Aug 6, 2015
    I am also on iPhone 7, but have no issues with it, so will be patiently waiting for Apple to come up with something not bigger and heavier than iPhone 7 and preferably with edge-to-edge screen. Don’t care about 3 cameras, wireless charging, etc. Might be a while to wait, though. :p
  11. timeconsumer macrumors 68000


    Aug 1, 2008
    I’m using an iPhone 8 which also has 2GB of ram. I read a lot of articles in Safari and usually have 3-5 tabs open but when switching between tabs it usually reloads which is annoying if I’m on the train and going through a tunnel with no service. I have various reasons as to why I don’t like the XR or XS, so I think I may look into a 8+ as it has 3GB of ram. But it’s tough to want to do that when the 8/8+ is almost two years old at this point.
  12. andyw715 macrumors 65816

    Oct 25, 2013
  13. maerz001 macrumors 65816


    Nov 2, 2010
    Why don’t you buy one on swappa or ebay for a few hundreds less?
  14. FFR macrumors 601


    Nov 4, 2007
    I don’t think apple is going to drop the price of the xs in the next 4 months.

    If you can wait 4 months you definitely should.
    I wouldn’t be able to.
  15. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2015
    One thing I don’t buy is used phones. Always new and I add Apple care plus because I keep my phones for a few years.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    I would like to stay with a home button, but my main concern long term is RAM. I don’t want a phone with less than 4gb because I keep my phones for 2-3 years.

    I would like to avoid what I’m going through now with my 7 for as long as possible with a new phone.
  16. barkomatic macrumors 601

    Aug 8, 2008
    What you describe indeed sounds annoying, but since it’s not starting to die on you I’d hold out for the new one coming out in the Fall. It’s not going to be a huge upgrade over the current models, but it’s not going to be insignificant either and if you’re gonna spend all that money it might as well be on the latest model.
  17. igroeg macrumors regular


    Feb 22, 2019
    I was thinking about getting a XS Max now, but decided to wait till September. I know that the differences between last year's models and this year's will be negligible, but then again why not wait a tiny bit of time to get the latest iteration, if you still want one but you're not in such a hurry. At least I'll have the opportunity to compare them and make a decision.
  18. m0sher macrumors 6502


    Mar 4, 2018
    If your phone is working then wait till Sept/Oct 2019.

    If your phone is broke then you have no choice and you should upgrade.

    Just know that the XS is a great phone. 11 will be an obvious incremental upgrade of sorts when it releases but it’s not like you have a piece of crud in your hands all of a sudden.

    My wife has a working 7 and I was thinking same thing since she’s ready to upgrade herself. Her phone works so she can wait. She’d prefer to have the most up to date phone since she keeps her phones for at least 3 years or more.
  19. maerz001, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

    maerz001 macrumors 65816


    Nov 2, 2010
    U can do a backup and than reset all.
    I have a 5s and 6s. With just the naked ios12 on it u see that they really are so much faster.
    After install the backup especially the 5s gets slow. But the 6s is still fine imho.

    So I’m wondering if maybe just some software issue with your 7.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    U don’t habe to buy necessarily used. U can find original packed ones going for 200€ less. And apple care u can add later afaik
  20. cableguy84 macrumors 65816


    Sep 7, 2015
  21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    Swappa I would agree with, it’s a much more well-managed website, with it being more tech oriented with highly reputable sellers for the most part. eBay, however, that’s like one of the recommendations I _wouldn’t_ make, simply because the amount of fraud on that website with Apple products.
  22. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2015
    I don’t think it’s software. I had this same problem with my iPad pro 9.7 and 2018 iPad, both 2gb RAM.

Share This Page

21 May 12, 2019