Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Lately I have been making videos of my travels across japan (working two jobs to fund the trips)

At the moment all my 4k editing is being done on my ipad air 3 which does quite well for its size. But I have been wanting to start practicing special effects via after effects which is not on the ipad. I do plan a large camera upgrade next year as well and I have no idea if my ipad will start struggling.

I am considering the mbp 16” but I never really would travel with it so I figured why not just go all the way and get the new pro with 1tb storage. I sometimes dont even bring my ipad since I travel like to travel light and my phone is suffice for a few days away.

tldr: I make vids across japan with plans to travel other asian countries. I do editing strictly at home so I do not need something mobile and I will have the money for it by the end of next year. Should I do it?

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
you edit 4k footage on an ipad, and your next rig is a macpro. I'd say a proper comparison to your question is like someone asking, "hey ive commuted to work and back on my prius, should i get a cybertruck"

It sounds like you have tech lust, and are trying to justify the purchase. and thats ok! because i'd be lying if that didn't drive some of my decision as well.

If you can afford it, hell do it. But if it hurts the purse, and you don't expect to make a return off of it, then its probably not for you.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
echoing @Korican100 , do what you want with your money, splurging on a want that isn't a need is fine if it doesn't put you in a bad financial spot. If we lived life just for necessities that would be a very boring existence.

Technically I don't need a Mac Pro. People I employ are absolutely going to get a lot of benefit out of these machines but I could run my businesses from just my iPad. I like to keep up with the evolving technologies my team members use though so I continue to buy myself new systems capable of heavy compute, compiling, editing, rendering, etc... and then do small scale projects just to stay fresh and be better able to relate to all the people that make the real work happen around here.

My "professional" systems may be some of the least stressed around but I enjoy them and can spend my money any way I'd like, you can too :)

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
you edit 4k footage on an ipad, and your next rig is a macpro. I'd say a proper comparison to your question is like someone asking, "hey ive commuted to work and back on my prius, should i get a cybertruck"

It sounds like you have tech lust, and are trying to justify the purchase. and thats ok! because i'd be lying if that didn't drive some of my decision as well.

If you can afford it, hell do it. But if it hurts the purse, and you don't expect to make a return off of it, then its probably not for you.

That is exactly right. Tech lust. I love my toys and am always upgrading my desktop pc with new parts. I could edit vids on it but I prefer my ipad. Its just a pain dealing with all the syncing between the devices.

echoing @Korican100 , do what you want with your money, splurging on a want that isn't a need is fine if it doesn't put you in a bad financial spot. If we lived life just for necessities that would be a very boring existence.

Technically I don't need a Mac Pro. People I employ are absolutely going to get a lot of benefit out of these machines but I could run my businesses from just my iPad. I like to keep up with the evolving technologies my team members use though so I continue to buy myself new systems capable of heavy compute, compiling, editing, rendering, etc... and then do small scale projects just to stay fresh and be better able to relate to all the people that make the real work happen around here.

My "professional" systems may be some of the least stressed around but I enjoy them and can spend my money any way I'd like, you can too :)
I wouldnt be in a financial position if i went for it. I do work two jobs and would save for a year to safely buy it. My ipad is fine currently but I really want to start learning special fx in the future. I am just constantly watching youtube vids on it. I am going to start practicing early next year with my current desktop, but I want to use final cut and its after effects alternative since its a buy once and done thing. I am not a fan of subscriptions

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
I blew north of £50K last year on a new BMW 440i with loads of options and individual paint. I could have spent £15K and just as easily got from A to B. But that's not what life's about. if you've got it, spend it, enjoy it. Don't be the wealthiest corpse in the graveyard (or worse still, leave it for someone else to enjoy!) I'm pulling the trigger on a well-specced Mac Pro today and it's not even a third of the price of my car. ?‍♂️

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I blew north of £50K last year on a new BMW 440i with loads of options and individual paint. I could have spent £15K and just as easily got from A to B. But that's not what life's about. if you've got it, spend it, enjoy it. Don't be the wealthiest corpse in the graveyard (or worse still, leave it for someone else to enjoy!) I'm pulling the trigger on a well-specced Mac Pro today and it's not even a third of the price of my car. ?‍♂️

You know what? You are right. Lets do this!!!

Reactions: tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
tldr: I make vids across japan with plans to travel other asian countries. I do editing strictly at home so I do not need something mobile and I will have the money for it by the end of next year. Should I do it?

I'm in a similar spot myself. I do mainly audio production and some software development but in reality not on the scale that would push a new Mac Pro. But I've been working on a 2011 13" MBP with a 2.3GHz Dual Core i5 for 9 years now. It's served me incredibly well but I'm long overdue an upgrade, and I'm thankfully in a position to splash out.

I considered a new MBP. The new 16" does look great! But like you, my MBP sits on my desk 99% of the time so why compromise for portability? The iMac Pro is also tempting with it's 5K display, but the lack of expansion on mac worth so much give me pause. If you glace at my signature you can see I'm sort of committed to this whole Mac thing to put it lightly. To me at least, they're worth far more than the sum of their parts are pure functionality.

So the Mac Pro is definitely an indulgent purchase for me, but with it's power, expand-ability, and the simple fact that it's just a very cool machine I know I'm really going to enjoy it and I can't wait for mine to arrive! :)

Reactions: vel0city

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
"Lately I have been making videos of my travels across japan (working two jobs to fund the trips)"

So, in reality, you'll be working two jobs to fund your computer purchase. Why not ditch one or both of those jobs (for however long it would take you to earn the money to buy a mac pro) and enjoy travelling more?

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
From which source you get 4K video?
I use a dslr, go pro, and soon will be getting an iphone 11 pro. Its nothing really high end.

"Lately I have been making videos of my travels across japan (working two jobs to fund the trips)"

So, in reality, you'll be working two jobs to fund your computer purchase. Why not ditch one or both of those jobs (for however long it would take you to earn the money to buy a mac pro) and enjoy travelling more?

Because in japan working as a foreigner means you have to work under timed contracts. I cant just quit. Also I would not be able to fund my travels without the money.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
I have little serious need for a new Mac Pro, but I can afford it and I ordered one.

That said, here's where the old saying comes in: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." In this case, it sounds like you came perilously close to having asked.

Unless it's your first, or you are jumping many generations, getting a new Mac is rarely a revelation. Sure, the new machine is shinier and snappier, maybe this time it has more RAM, etc., but the O.S. is the same, and guess what, in the end it does exactly the same stuff.

My vote is no unless the money really is no object at all.

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Lately I have been making videos of my travels across japan (working two jobs to fund the trips)

At the moment all my 4k editing is being done on my ipad air 3 which does quite well for its size. But I have been wanting to start practicing special effects via after effects which is not on the ipad. I do plan a large camera upgrade next year as well and I have no idea if my ipad will start struggling.

I am considering the mbp 16” but I never really would travel with it so I figured why not just go all the way and get the new pro with 1tb storage. I sometimes dont even bring my ipad since I travel like to travel light and my phone is suffice for a few days away.

Extremely bad purchase no matter how you slice it. It would be one thing if you had no debt and decent amount of capital and just wanted to waste the money away but it seems your are in a position where you are no where near that.

Why not just get a 5k iMac(3.6GHz 8GB 1TB SSD Vega 48) plus after market ram which would run you $3500. It's a cleaner solution, more than enough power for what you are doing. You could literally get the iMac and a Macbook Pro for cheaper than the Mac Pro.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Extremely bad purchase no matter how you slice it. It would be one thing if you had no debt and decent amount of capital and just wanted to waste the money away but it seems your are in a position where you are no where near that.

Why not just get a 5k iMac(3.6GHz 8GB 1TB SSD Vega 48) plus after market ram which would run you $3500. It's a cleaner solution, more than enough power for what you are doing. You could literally get the iMac and a Macbook Pro for cheaper than the Mac Pro.

I am not in debt though? Though you do have a point about getting a mbp and imac for less than a pro. Hmm maybe I should go that route instead

chrissomos

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2018
I will buy one just because I want one. I do photo editing, video editing, and gaming, but I could realistically get by with a much cheaper Mac or a PC. I just love the Mac Pro.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I will buy one just because I want one. I do photo editing, video editing, and gaming, but I could realistically get by with a much cheaper Mac or a PC. I just love the Mac Pro.

same. My gaming pc would suffice but I really want a mac pro. Never owned a mac before outside of a hackintosh

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I am not in debt though? Though you do have a point about getting a mbp and imac for less than a pro. Hmm maybe I should go that route instead

I didn't say you were in debt. I said if you have a lot of capital and no debt(any loans.....0 credit card balance, no car payments, no mortgage, no student loans..etc). In other-words If you have the cash to buy the Mac Pro today and have multiple years of living expensive saved then you have some expendable income for a luxury purchase like that(if your buying something like that to edit GoPro footage for a hobby it's luxury).

Really without purchasing the 6K display along with it I can't see any upside at all. It's a 40lb device your gonna have to store, get another monitor...which is more clutter and I can't see that being a good thing in places like Japan. Hell I wouldn't even take the Mac Pro without the 6k display over a iMac if i needed the space and didn't need the power.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I didn't say you were in debt. I said if you have a lot of capital and no debt(any loans.....0 credit card balance, no car payments, no mortgage, no student loans..etc). In other-words If you have the cash to buy the Mac Pro today and have multiple years of living expensive saved then you have some expendable income for a luxury purchase like that(if your buying something like that to edit GoPro footage for a hobby it's luxury).

Really without purchasing the 6K display along with it I can't see any upside at all. It's a 40lb device your gonna have to store, get another monitor...which is more clutter and I can't see that being a good thing in places like Japan. Hell I wouldn't even take the Mac Pro without the 6k display over a iMac if i needed the space and didn't need the power.
Ah, my apologies, I misread.

Reactions: fathergll

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm in a similar spot myself. I do mainly audio production and some software development but in reality not on the scale that would push a new Mac Pro. But I've been working on a 2011 13" MBP with a 2.3GHz Dual Core i5 for 9 years now. It's served me incredibly well but I'm long overdue an upgrade, and I'm thankfully in a position to splash out.

I considered a new MBP. The new 16" does look great! But like you, my MBP sits on my desk 99% of the time so why compromise for portability? The iMac Pro is also tempting with it's 5K display, but the lack of expansion on mac worth so much give me pause. If you glace at my signature you can see I'm sort of committed to this whole Mac thing to put it lightly. To me at least, they're worth far more than the sum of their parts are pure functionality.

So the Mac Pro is definitely an indulgent purchase for me, but with it's power, expand-ability, and the simple fact that it's just a very cool machine I know I'm really going to enjoy it and I can't wait for mine to arrive! :)
To be honest, an iMac (non-Pro) makes a lot of sense for someone like you. The built-in 5K display is excellent. No need to spend thousands more on a Mac Pro + display.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Yes, I do want to buy one “just because” it’s the coolest-looking computer I’ve ever seen. Some people may disagree, but it’s really grown on me as an all-time classic and timeless design.

The entry-level model would EASILY last me 10 years at minimum with zero upgrades. And possibly much longer. That works out to $600 per year, or $50 per month (plus tax).

As someone else mentioned, it’s the computer equivalent of overpaying for a nice car. Nobody actually needs an Audi or BMW or Mercedes, but lots of people buy them.

If you have to save up for an entire year, I would advise you to hold off until you have a better job. Get yourself into a position where you can afford a luxury item like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.