Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Well.. after a couple weeks with my aluminum macbook i have realized i have never actually clicked down the pad all the way on purpose to click. I always tap to click, something i never did when i had a real button. I like tap to click a lot better than an actual button.

The whole trackpad being a button is a bit of an annoyance for me, as it makes kind of a weird noise and you have to push quite hard in some spots.

The accidental clicks are annoying and i wish they just got rid of the button instead of including it in the pad. anyone agree?

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
they probably will eventually. they just left it there for now so they dont turn off some buyers.

danvan21

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I love teh new trackpad. I dont have any accidental clicks after the software update and i dont push down all that much the size of the trackpad is awesome. When using my friends blackbook i realized how much i love the new trackpad because the old one is so small compared to this one. Its great and i would not be able to go back to a normal setup.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I like it a lot and I just use it like the old track pad, w/ my thumb where the button would be. In another thread someone posted a pic of the inside of the battery case and if you adjust it the clicking isn't as loud. I am now trying to get use to the tap and click to give it a try, just to try something new.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
On my pervious Macbook and MBP I also always used the button, however with the new touchpad I use tap to click. It's just more convenient in my opinion.

Coulter

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
I think its great. Takes a while to learn how to use but once you get the hang of it its better than seperate buttons.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Sorry, gotta disagree with the OP, I loved the new Alu Macbook trackpad, much better than having a separate button. Unfortunately the Macbook's screen sucks so bad that I had to return it and get the MBA which doesn't have the glass one-button trackpad. The one-button glass trackpad might be one of the features that has received a lot of praise and giving praise to Apple from the MR forum members hardly ever happens and this IS a Mac forum, go figure.;)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
The new trackpad is great! I love it!! If you dont like clicking it down, then dont! Its not that big of a deal.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
Have you ever tried tapping under windows with the trackpad? It's so horrible, I just switched the option off.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Maybe you got a loose trackpad. Mine requires quite a bit of a push for it to click. It's about as firm as a real button so I couldn't accidentally click this if I tried.

moizkhan

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
Seems Fine

I think its cool personally, I use the tap and the button and both seem to work fine.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
lots of mixed responses.

i didnt mean to say i wanted a button back, just that i wish apple got rid of it all together! :)

i agree with the person about the skinny button on the macbook air

Mako5

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
I really like it. The button, size gestures, glass. Pretty innovative. I never liked trackpads including tapping. I always preferred Trackpoint/pointing sticks. This is cool.

BlackLight

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
this is my first macbook and i love this trackpad and ive just been using my new macbook for the past 6 hrs I LOVE IT

burdendds

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Well.. after a couple weeks with my aluminum macbook i have realized i have never actually clicked down the pad all the way on purpose to click. I always tap to click, something i never did when i had a real button. I like tap to click a lot better than an actual button.

The whole trackpad being a button is a bit of an annoyance for me, as it makes kind of a weird noise and you have to push quite hard in some spots.

The accidental clicks are annoying and i wish they just got rid of the button instead of including it in the pad. anyone agree?

If you take the battery out you can access a screw (it's triangular) that adjusts the amount of pressure that the pad takes to "click". You can actually adjust this tight enough so that it doesn't click at all if you want. If it's just the noise you don't like then adjust it to make an easier click and place a soft cloth between it and the battery to make a nice, easy, quiet click.

Lots of options... go adjust it and enjoy your Macbook!

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
I personally love the new trackpad. I've always hated laptop track pads and have never been able to use one. I've always had to have an external mouse with my laptops in the past b/c regular trackpads were so tedious and inefficient for me. This is not the case with the new trackpad. I got used to it in the first few minutes of use and, although I have an external mouse I never use it b/c I love the pad so much. My finger glides so easily across it and I love that I don't have to move my hand back to click a button or have my thumb rested in an uncomfortable position so it could stay on the button.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
If you take the battery out you can access a screw (it's triangular) that adjusts the amount of pressure that the pad takes to "click". You can actually adjust this tight enough so that it doesn't click at all if you want. If it's just the noise you don't like then adjust it to make an easier click and place a soft cloth between it and the battery to make a nice, easy, quiet click.

Lots of options... go adjust it and enjoy your Macbook!

cool, ill have to look at that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.