Anyone else wish they could get rid of email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bootsie, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I wish there was a way to pick on your iPhone plan to get rid of the email option and substitute it for more texting.

I really want to get an iPhone, but I won't really use the email part (only get 4-5 emails per day) none of my friends have smart phones or are planning on getting them so I wish that I could get rid of the email capapbilities in exchange for more texting.

I know that I can pay $10 to get more texting, but I don't really want to spend any more than the $59 per month the cheapest plan costs.

2. SpankWare macrumors regular

You don't pay for email you pay for data. If you don't want a data plan you can call AT&T and cancel it. That would free up $20/month for you to spend on a texting package. Of course you will need wifi access for your data needs but if that fits the bill for you then you're all set.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

umm... you don't pay for email. you pay for data... you can take the data plan off (saving $20 / month) and still use wifi....

4. ajx22 macrumors regular

Both email and web browsing both just consume data from your data plan.

AT&T data plans are unlimited - so not using the email feature will 'save' you nothing monetarily.

5. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I know that I am just paying for the data, but I "wish" that there was a way for me to remove the email and get more texting instead, I know that it is not possible, but I think it would be good if AT&T would split it up so that the plan was $10 per month for internet, and $10 per month for email.

6. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I've never heard this question before, kinda crazy since all I do is email. :cool:

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Doesn't your email get sent to you over the internet? I really don't think your idea makes much sense, sorry.

8. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I didn't know the data plan was optional. So you can take it off whenever?

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

thats just a horrible idea.... just cause there's an email icon / app?? ... by your logic it should really be:

$5 - youtube
    $5 - Safari
    $5 - Maps
    $5 - email

but wait.. theres still weather and stocks ... well crap ..

10. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

OK, I admit that my logic on this subject might not make much sense. :eek:

I just wish that it was possible, because I won't really use the email like most of you probably do.

11. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Different people, need different needs. I don't think this is a lousy question at all.

12. ajx22 macrumors regular

The fact is the the SMS (text messages) travel on a completely different method compared to all the 'data'.

If you're going to use the internet or maps or stocks or weather or many of the soon to launch apps (SDK) - then you need to understand that using or not using the email feature is adding NOTHING to your bill. It's unlimited data - regardless of the type...

SMS and talk minutes are a different thing all together...and as such; and billed separately.

If you're not going to use the internet over EDGE - then simply don't get the data plan; and rely on WiFi for all your data transfers. This saves you the $20/mth data plan - and you're able to add on the SMS package and still save $10.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It is kind of silly. (No offense to the OP...I have silly ideas all the time too!)

It's like saying "I don't use CNN.com. Can't AT&T block CNN.com on my phone and give me back $0.05 per month?"

I mean, unlimited data is unlimited data. You can't just say that you don't use SOME parts of the internet so you want some money back.

The only way this could work is if AT&T decided to start charging based on how many websites you visit. And nobody would want that!

14. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I know that unlimited data is unlimited data no matter what type.

What made me think of this option (even though I know it is not a real option) is the fact that for blackberry phones you can get just email without web browsing capability (I know blackberry email is handled differently).

So it made me think wouldn't it be nice if....