Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I wish there was a way to pick on your iPhone plan to get rid of the email option and substitute it for more texting.

I really want to get an iPhone, but I won't really use the email part (only get 4-5 emails per day) none of my friends have smart phones or are planning on getting them so I wish that I could get rid of the email capapbilities in exchange for more texting.

I know that I can pay $10 to get more texting, but I don't really want to spend any more than the $59 per month the cheapest plan costs.

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
You don't pay for email you pay for data. If you don't want a data plan you can call AT&T and cancel it. That would free up $20/month for you to spend on a texting package. Of course you will need wifi access for your data needs but if that fits the bill for you then you're all set.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
umm... you don't pay for email. you pay for data... you can take the data plan off (saving $20 / month) and still use wifi....

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I know that I am just paying for the data, but I "wish" that there was a way for me to remove the email and get more texting instead, I know that it is not possible, but I think it would be good if AT&T would split it up so that the plan was $10 per month for internet, and $10 per month for email.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I know that I am just paying for the data, but I "wish" that there was a way for me to remove the email and get more texting instead, I know that it is not possible, but I think it would be good if AT&T would split it up so that the plan was $10 per month for internet, and $10 per month for email.

Doesn't your email get sent to you over the internet? I really don't think your idea makes much sense, sorry.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX

thats just a horrible idea.... just cause there's an email icon / app?? ... by your logic it should really be:

$5 - youtube
$5 - Safari
$5 - Maps
$5 - email

but wait.. theres still weather and stocks ... well crap ..

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
OK, I admit that my logic on this subject might not make much sense. :eek:

I just wish that it was possible, because I won't really use the email like most of you probably do.

ajx22

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Honolulu (Hawai'i Kai), Hawai'i
The fact is the the SMS (text messages) travel on a completely different method compared to all the 'data'.

If you're going to use the internet or maps or stocks or weather or many of the soon to launch apps (SDK) - then you need to understand that using or not using the email feature is adding NOTHING to your bill. It's unlimited data - regardless of the type...

SMS and talk minutes are a different thing all together...and as such; and billed separately.

If you're not going to use the internet over EDGE - then simply don't get the data plan; and rely on WiFi for all your data transfers. This saves you the $20/mth data plan - and you're able to add on the SMS package and still save $10.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Different people, need different needs. I don't think this is a lousy question at all.

It is kind of silly. (No offense to the OP...I have silly ideas all the time too!)

It's like saying "I don't use CNN.com. Can't AT&T block CNN.com on my phone and give me back $0.05 per month?"

I mean, unlimited data is unlimited data. You can't just say that you don't use SOME parts of the internet so you want some money back.

The only way this could work is if AT&T decided to start charging based on how many websites you visit. And nobody would want that!

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I know that unlimited data is unlimited data no matter what type.

What made me think of this option (even though I know it is not a real option) is the fact that for blackberry phones you can get just email without web browsing capability (I know blackberry email is handled differently).

So it made me think wouldn't it be nice if....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.