Anyone else with an OWC Envoy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scatoclysm, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Scatoclysm macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else has an OWC Envoy and experiencing this.

I installed my mid 2012 MBA 128 GB Toshiba SSD into it. When transferring data there's a low buzzing sound emitting from it as the LED light on it is blinking. It sounds like zzt zzzzt zzt zzt.

When there's no transfers, it's silent.

I took the metal case off and just had the controller board with SSD plugged in and connected to my MBA. Put my ear next to it during a transfer and it sounds like it's coming form the LED light.

I was wondering if anyone else with an Envoy can confirm if this is normal.

I asked their tech support over chat, they didn't seem 100% sure and suggested RMA to err on the side of caution.

Just thought I'd check with other users of this first before RMA'ing, I'm in Canada and it might cost close to what I paid for the Envoy to ship it back for replacement (the chat dude disconnected me when I mentioned I might skip the RMA and sell me SSD instead if the shipping is too high, probly thought I was going to be a dick about it lol).

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My enclosure doesn't buzz, but my SSD does. Some SSDs buzz and others don't. I think it's normal, though a bit annoying.

3. Scatoclysm thread starter macrumors newbie