anyone else with dropped calls often???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by veeco3110, Oct 5, 2008.

1. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

ever since 2.1, my iphone has been borderline garbage. i have so many droped calls that its digusting. and since i mostly talk to my girlfriend or my friends all who have iphones, its like drop call central. im coming to the conclsion that the iphone isnt that much of a good phone as it is a novelty. but i love the darn phone to much to let it go...

i was just wondering if anyone else has been seeing alot of dropped calls since the recent update.

anyone know how to fix it? fresh restore?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had one dropped call (probably on the other end) since 2.1 firmware update; which is a significant improvement from 2.0...:cool:

3. SilverSog macrumors newbie

The only dropped calls I get are when I place calls to other iPhone users. Hmm...

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Since July 6, 2007 when I got the first iPhone and the 3G phone that I have had since launch and the second 3G phone that I also own, I would say that I had 10 dropped calls on all iPhones in all that time. Not bad at all.

5. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Only in my apartment, its getting rediculous, I dont know what to do.

6. ehnnwhycee macrumors member

My iphone has been garbage with calls ever since i got it on July 11th '08..just about every phone call i make, over like 10 or 15 minutes, gets dropped. Its ridiculous..makes me wanna go back to my BBerry which never had a dropped call..although i would nevverr lol..but yeahhh, lots and lots of dropped calls, crazyyy

7. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I had an issue pre 2.1 but I think it was a dead zone because it happened in the exact same spot more than once

8. mailerdaemon macrumors member

Mine drops calls all the time.

The worst thing is answering incoming calls. Nearly every single time I go to answer, there is no-one there even though according the phone I'm connected and the timer is counting. The person calling me reports that they don't even hear the ringing tone from their end but the call connects (their counter starts counting) but they can't hear me.

The second attempt that the person makes to call me is usually successful. Occasionally it takes a couple of attempts by them though.

I've never had this incoming call issue till 2.1 If the next 'update' doesn't resolve it, (I check everyday) then I'm binning my phone. Well and truly over it.

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I've had my iPhone for 5 weeks now and I've never had a dropped call. Not once...

Bryan

10. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPhone 3G maybe 3 weeks, I was about to go back and return it and go back to Verizon, because of the massive amounts of dropped calls. Then I herd of one last possible solution, and I haven't had a dropped call yet(Knock on wood). I turned off the 3G part, so now I only make calls on edge. Now yes, if I'm out and about and want to do anything that requires internet I have to go through the settings and turn the 3G back on. But I would rather do that than have a phone that I cant use to talk on, and since my house, work, and school all have wifi it hasn't been tooooo big of a issue for me...I've been doing this for about a week now.

11. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Nada. Not one.

This could make an interesting iPhone app. Simple interface with a single button. "Dropped call" It would grab your current location perhaps along with a user name of some type and upload the data to a web site for mapping purposes.

Anyone?

12. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

I have had one droped call in england. BUT I put it into my pocket with my haedphones on.. so I really don't think it was droped. I think my wallet touched it or something.

13. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I've never had a dropped call with my iPhone. Whenever I call my mom though (who's on Sprint), I usually get a dropped call. And when I was on Sprint, I got dropped calls all the time. I'm actually pretty impressed with AT&T :eek:

14. veeco3110 thread starter macrumors 6502

veeco3110

my thoughts exactly...i just restored my phone and im gonna restore my gfs pone too and see if it helps...if not im off to the apple store

15. moka macrumors 6502a

never experienced any dropped call since i owned the iphone Feb08 except for two dropped calls which i am 100% positive they where from the other end, the person was using a metro PCS plan and none of my other friends that called him where able to keep the call up. It always drops.

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

This is probably the first really good idea I've seen on this site. I'd bet a paycheck that AT&T wouldn't bother, what with their being perfect in every possible way, but if they were actually interested in the problems their users had with reception, this would be a great way to do it. Wouldn't even need a button, the phone could simply collect and store the data and send it during a cable sync or something. One can dream.

Oh...to answer the question, I had a couple dropped calls early on and then they went away. Over the past few weeks, however, it's gotten pretty bad. If I turn off 3G the calls stop dropping but then audio quality suffers to where entire sentences can go by without my being able to understand a word. I've also noticed the data connection spending a lot more time in E these days and the phone tends to lose data entirely several times a day. I've been doing a lot of texting because it appears to be the most reliable way to communicate on AT&T these days.

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I have had only two dropped calls since July 25, and I talk regularly to other iPhones.

Where are you all that you're having such problems? I'm in a solid 3G area, and so are the other iPhones I'm talking with. Maybe that is the difference?

18. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

It's good to know I'm in the same boat!

I didn't really have a problem before 2.1, but now every other call is dropped, silent on one end or the other or even garbled with weird noises in one case. Yesterday, I had a business call and I had to call back 4 times before the call started off well!!!

Today I had one call where the person on the other end couldn't hear me, and the phone took about 20 seconds trying to hang up before I just rebooted the thing!

By the way, most of these calls are in my home where I have full bars (and sometimes full 3G bars).

Hopefully if it's a widespread problem, Apple will issue a fix.

19. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Had dropped calls with Sprint as well, and also T-mobile. Calling other AT&T users never drops. I probably have a ratio of 1:20 of drop calls to other networks which kinda sucks.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Only 1 dropped call with my iPhone and I was in the subway, so the reception probably wasn't great.

21. gotzero macrumors 68040

Mine is dropping calls since 2.1 very frequently. It is the network switch. There are two spots on my daily commute where they now drop and never did before, so I cannot have one conversation on my way home.

It has also been dropping in my home, which I find hilarious as I am not even moving.

I am going to try to have Apple acknowledge it, and if they tell me it is not duplicatable or some garbage I will reluctantly switch to the blackberry bold.

It is bad enough that the girlfriend and people I talk to a lot ask on the phone, "are you switching from 3G right now?" as my response goes unheard before the call drops. It is embarrassing and not acceptable.

I hope they can correct it, because I love the iphone. The data is now perfect for me, and I would be gutted to lose my beloved apps and interface!

22. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a