Anyone else with this Wifi problem?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FunkyMonkey, Nov 17, 2008.

1. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I will select a Wifi network. It will turn blue and a check will appear. It there will be no bars in the status bar. If I try to go on the internet it will not work. I've found if I select the network, then turn wifi off and then back on, I will be able to connect just fine.

I've always had this problem with my 2nd gen Touch. I only get it when I connect to an open network (no password).

Anyone else? Hopefully this will be fixed in 2.2.

2. telf22 macrumors regular

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

yeah same here, I just turn it on, select the network and turn it back off and on again then it works fine. And it also seems to be after the wifi has been off for an extended period of time or I have joined another network.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I get something similar. I select an unlocked wifi source, get blue bars showing a strong link, then try to go on the internet or check email I get the spinning fan signal showing its trying to connect, but after several seconds I get a message saying that it can't because there is no internet connection. Strangely, the wifi sources that I commonly use work fine. I thought that if a lock icon doesn't appear next to a given wifi source listed in Settings, a password isn't required to connect to it. When I walk down the street, there are several wifi sources listed without locks, and I can't connect to any of them. But when I get to the city park that has free wifi, it always connects without any problems. Why does it connect to some non-locked wifi sources and not others?

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Could it be that some of the wi-fi networks you're seeing aren't connected to the internet?
    Like if you go into Best Buy and try to get on their wireless, there is no internet access, but there is an unprotected "Setup" network available. Also, movement + wifi don't mix very well. If you're just passing by and try to connect, it usually won't work. For me anyway.

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I thought all wifi networks were connected if you could get a signal (by definition), but I don't know very much about this subject. This happens when I am standing still. I also get blue bars at the top left corner of the screen, which I thought indicated that you were connected to wifi. But if, as you suggest, I may be connected to the network but the network isn't connected to the internet, that could explain the problem I'm having. Thanks for your feedback.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Some networks exist simply for file sharing and storage, without a connection to the internet. Just like if you plugged a HD into your airport extreme and didn't connect cat5, the network would be visible and you could backup your machine, but there would be no internet connection. It could be that there were some of these types showing up on your iPod. Cheers :)

8. The Man macrumors 6502

Same thing happens to me. I wondered about that too. Maybe there's a delay with the authentication of the WPA. I always see the lock icon disappear and then reappearing a few seconds later. Then need to turn WiFi OFF and ON again, and then I have connection, just like you describe.

9. MACoconut macrumors regular

maybe its the software bug, should be fixed at the next update i guess, :rolleyes: