Anyone else with upgrade eligibility on March 2010?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lovetheduns, Jun 17, 2009.

1. lovetheduns macrumors regular

So I am on the phone with ATT and not really getting any answers. No one can tell me why I have a March 2010 upgrade date that is not even remotely 12 months or 18 months from July 18, 2008.

Trying to figure out some commonalities.

I purchased the 2G Iphone when the 4gb was reduced to 299.00.

I stood in line like so many of you and purchased the 3G on July 18th.

At neither time did I ever have to pay any deposits, etc.

I added my mom to my family plan in August.

My bill since then 69.99 + 30.00 + 9.99 + 15.00 text (then became 8.99 a few months ago).

I *think* ATT thinks that my mom's number is the primary line because they keep saying when did you add the iphone to your account, but they dont hear me when I say the second line is NOT the primary number. It is the added number and the iPhone line has always been the primary.

This is the second rep who has no clue about the prices for the new iPhones or the news release. I am waiting for a supervisor.

2. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

When I check ATT site yesterday, it told me the same thing. I only have 1 line though but got the phone same day as you. I'll see what it says tomorrow...

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

I have two lines on my phone, the primary one (none iPhone) is eligible for an upgrade on 9/30/2009 and the iPhone is eligible on 4/30/2010. I got both of these phones on August 29, 2008.

:rolleyes:

4. ikarus79m macrumors member

Same problem here. Added a new line in November and AT&T keeps telling me that's the primary number. I think that's what screwed it up for me!

Please PM me if you're making any progress!!!

5. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Based on your rate plan, it does not look like you are going to qualify for a 12 month upgrade cycle based on your MRC which is based on a per line basis so you have to substract your moms add-a-line and SMS Txt plan and that is going to put you under the MRC clip.

To find out which is the primary line, just look at your online bill and you will see which line is the primary and which is the add-a-line (secondary).

Dave

6. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Again, just check your online billing and it will show which line is attached to the main portion of the FamilyTalk rate plan.

Where / How did you add the line last Nov? Some reps will add new lines as the primary line to increase commission on the transaction, this may or may not have happened to you.

You can also check your "Contract End" date:

How to find contract end date: http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?solutionId=53605&t=solutionTab

Dave

7. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

Mine is also March 2010. I'm also on a Family Plan, but we haven't added any lines. I bought my 3G on launch day.

I'm not too happy about having that long of a ways to go to upgrade since I dropped my phone in September and it's cracked so badly I can barely read texts and can never see the artist/song title on the iPod. I wish I had the money to upgrade before then, but I've lived with it for this long, so I might as well live with it until March. And if I'm going to live with it until March, I might as well wait until the NEXT iPhone comes out, which is fine with me. I might end up buying a screen replacement, but I might just decide to save that money for the next upgrade.

I just don't understand WHY my upgrade is in March. I asked AT&T, but could not get an answer. We only pay $200 or so for our family plan, and I guess that's not a high enough amount for me to get a quicker upgrade. I just don't understand why my contract seems to be LONGER than everybody else's.

8. lovetheduns thread starter macrumors regular

So they are saying a couple things:

One my monthly reoccurring charges are not high enough: 60.00 minutes (I am ignoring the 9.99 for the other line) + 30 Data + 16.99 (Nights and Weekends) + 8.99 text apparently only the 60+30 count which is utterly and completely BS because as a customer I don't see just those two things as reoccurring charges I see that I pay 30 + 60 + 9.99 + 8.99 + 16.99 as monthly reoccurring. So that is my first gripe. Apparently even though for the past almost 2 years I suppose I have been paying these amounts that creep up into the 140s at times and never less than 121.00 is not considered 99.00 is highly customer unfriendly. I could see if I was paying 45 + 30 but I am not. Even with my FAN-- I still pay those values (with the discounts my FAN is not great I still end up paying 111.00 minimum without considering the other line).

Second-- my iPhone has only the data plan and the 9.99 + 8.99 amounts. So because someone at the store (to get another commission, because of incompetence, because of an error, or because of their system) placed the voice and night and weekends onto the second line--- to make it seem like a new plan that has NOW made me move into a 3/2010 date because of the amount of my iPhone bill-- well this makes me LIVID. I was told since the iPhone portion of the bill is less than 68.00 it moves me into a 21 month upgrade eligibility.

Btw, I added the second line in August. One month after I purchased my iPhone.

The fact that they can not do ANYTHING to even change it to December and because they have made their MRC to be so abstract (I mean lets face it people I am not paying the nights and weekends or the text messaging to a third party I am paying it to AT&T-- i.e. I could see if I were paying 9.99 to Tom Tom for a service that happens to be billed to my ATT bill) makes me furious. I could understand if I had a cheapo plan, I could also understand if I didn't pay my bills-- sure don't offer me the same upgrade as other "prime" customers.

Ironically they were willing to offer me any other phone for an upgrade without any regard to my contract date and a special price.

So at this point because of the principle I will be writing emails and letters to every executive I can as well as planet feedback.

I shouldn't have to wait 21 months to get an upgrade to an iPhone because of their error at minimum.

Also-- I am curious now how are these folks with upgrades in December able to get the upgrades now? I am assuming that the December upgrades were the 18 months folks and were less than 99.00.

So needless to say talking with several supervisors and managers has made me only more angry.

9. Crosis macrumors newbie

The exact same thing happened to me....

I added my wife to my account years ago. Way back in 2005. Her line became the primary account. Now I have a 3/2010 upgrade as well. Are you making any progress with customer service?

10. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

You ultimately had to make the decision to accept the terms. Now you will live with them until March 2010 or pay the difference. You decide, but complaining on the internet isn't going to change a thing.

11. Crosis macrumors newbie

Actually it does change a thing which is why AT&T reversed it's policy to allow early iPhone 3G adopters to get the iPhone 3GS at the full discounted price. What I'm saying is I meet the criteria of an early iPhone 3G adopter but that is not reflected on my account at AT&T. Why don't you become more knowledgeable on a topic before you simply troll forums?