Anyone else with videos slowing/lagging down on safari??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont know what type of media it is playing from Safari and I'm guessing its .MOV but after certain videos are played on the mac pro under safari and even closing the safari tab with the video and trying to view movie clips from say gametrailers.com, all of a sudden the video lags and skips frames and just slow. Only when I quit safari all together and reopen safari and watch the same videos in gametrailers.com will it be fast again... Is there some type of codec glitch or bug that causes this with .mov files??

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Probably not .mov... those are pretty unusual, as .mov format is ancient.. and sucks. Might be flash?

Anyway, why are you using Safari? Use Firefox.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I dont know I just prefer safari (I just like the looks of it + I like the feature of putting the cursor over a word on safari and while holding control + comand(apple key) and pressing the letter "d" and shows you the definition of that word).

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I just encountered such a problem (in Safari)

I built a page with 3 embedded QTVR movies @320x240 resolution

The movies are very, very choppy when viewed in Safari, but everything is smooth, fast, and crisp when the page is viewed under Firefox

also, this seems to be only a problem of Safari 3.1

There is a brand-new update to QuickTime (7.4.5)

"QuickTime 7.4.5 includes fixes that enhance reliability, improve compatibility with third-party applications, and address security issues. This release is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users."

...going to install and see if this remedies it.
    -Ward

5. anthonyjr macrumors regular

anthonyjr

I've had this problem for a long while now, even before the 3.1 update. I'm pretty sure it's rooted to the Flip4Mac plugin.

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea flip4mac is in need of an update.. I heard that they ditched flip4mac and isnt around anymore.. is this true??