Anyone else worried about data charges with iTunes Match?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Hell, this "push" not "download" thing better save a lot of data or else imma be using a HELLA lot of data. I don't even tether and I'll probably be using as much as the people that do are....

I think Apple needs to bargain with AT&T and Verizon like they did with the music industry and get us our unlimited data back if they are rolling out all this data-eating cloud stuff.

2. kilidar macrumors member

Anyone worried about battery life with all these always-on background wifi or 3g connections?

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

If you are going to use the service, get an unlimited plan. You could also sync only selected items to your iPhone so you should be able to manually add what you want. I also thought that iTunes match was optional.

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

well if i remember right, it did say it was on wifi only.

5. FSMBP, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Nope, not worried. Pretty sure you can have 3G syncing disabled.

6. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If you haven't read, Verizon is getting rid of their unlimited plan, and im stuck on AT&T anyways, but either way, data usage shouldn't be the reason someone doesn't use iTunes Match.

I just feel that if Apple is gonna roll out all of these feature that require mass data usage, they should help us out a little with all this 2GB cap BS.

Capping data is just ridiculous anyways. At least at that small of an amount.

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i'm assuming that's why apple announced it's only available via WIFI.

8. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

and if you are so worried get the unlimited plan! It is not that much money in the scheme of things. I do not find this to be an issue. If you do maybe you shouldn't be using an iPhone anyway?

Reminds me of the guy who had a Ferrari Dino in his garage. He would wax that thing so it would glow in the dark. But he could never drive it because he couldn't afford the insurance!

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

That's why I got the Verizon unlimited plan, knowing that one day they would get rid of it. But I'm grandfathered in.

10. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I've said twice now that I have an AT&T iPhone. Therefore no unlimited or else I would have it. I have the 4GB tethering plan simply for the 4GB, not the tethering.

Cool, i didn't know that. I never got to the part in the keynote that talked about cloud, I had to go to work.

11. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

I have ATT and I have an unlimited plan. If you have ATT you could also get one.

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you were GRANDFATHERED in. if you WEREN'T grandfathered in you can't get the unlimited data. They even took it away from me and said it was an error on their part, but wouldn't give it back. Another reason i won't do contracts anymore.

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

why do people continually act like paying for data is the only way you're going to get internet on the iphone? My work has wifi, my house has wifi, tons of public places have free wifi. if i really need data i'll bring along my verizon 4G LTE mifi with me and connect to that.

It's ridiculous how much they charge for data and it can only be used on that particular phone only. Mifi can be used on up to 5 devices so makes perfect sense to pay for something like that.

If i don't bring along my mifi, on a regular day the only time i don't have data is going to and from work. Is that worth $30/month?

14. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Here's a question:

I have about 400 songs purchased from iTunes.

I have about 3,000 songs ripped from CDs from my youth (128Kbps MP3s).

So I pay Apple $24.99 to scan my library and provide me 256Kbps AAC copies in the cloud.

Suppose I get a new iPhone or iPad. Can I download all these songs to it then delete my old libraries and then transfer these newer songs to all my computers? If so, can I then stop paying the $24.99/year and use my new and improve library?

I'm thinking after the first year, all the iMatch songs on your library will still be good, they will just fall off the Cloud (not be available for remote download).

Thoughts?

15. yellowballoon macrumors member

All the new 256kps are available to you up to 10 devices, as long as you pay $24.99 a year. All purchased songs from iTunes are available forever free.
    If you stop paying, then you will have to resort of going back to your 128kps files that were matched, (if you still have them).

16. shandyman Suspended

it's there in the settings, default is wifi only, but you can choose to enable it over 3G (it's the toggle that says mobile)