Anyone else worried about defects?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, Apr 16, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Just an assumption that since Apple has to be producing these things so quickly that we may see a spike in defective watches. Anyone else worried about this?

2. DynaFXD, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

No. It seems with every release the over persnickity come out of the wood work to deride this or that. The screen bleed through issue and such on iPads stands out in my mind. And to be fair, there is a small population that are genuinely impacted. So back to you question, upon further reflection I'll amend to say....not in the least.

edit: Removed a mild dig at complainers that probably isn't fair and doesn't contribute to the discussion.

3. LowesChevy48 macrumors member

LowesChevy48

Always a chance... hopfully they stand behind there product if stuff do come up.

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

That's why we have warranties. Defects can happen with any type of merchandise you buy.

Granted; this situation may be a little different because if they needed to replace your Apple Watch there might not be any available :eek:

5. rritterson macrumors 6502

Don't read this forum for a month after you get your watch. Somebody will find some exceptionally minor defect you never would have noticed, but now that someone else pointed it out, you see it and are depressed about it.

6. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I try not to worry about what's out of my control.

Seeing they have Apple care though I'm curious to see if they will have ample replacements from launch at the genius bar for those who purchased protection

7. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Thanks for putting this thought in my head. I always thought Apple was perfect. Now I have to cancel my order to remove this thought from my head. Appreciate it.

8. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Yeah I'm not worried so much that I will get a deceptive product as much as I am worried that if I do get a defect then there will not be enough brown box stock to give me a replacement in-store

9. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Supply is supposedly tight due to low yields. That means completed components or whole products not meeting QA standards. It's quite likely that this launch has unusually exacting standards and will see even less acceptance of minor flaws.

In other words, I won't worry about it. Also, AppleCare.

10. frumpy16, Apr 16, 2015

frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Anyone else worried about defects?

I work in Quality (Supplier Quality in fact) so worrying about defects is my life... :)

But seriously, I've audited a Foxconn facility before. They don't screw around with Quality and neither does Apple. They have their stuff together in a big way.

11. rhyme, Apr 16, 2015

rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

I think there's a reasonable chance of defects, but Apple have a good history of replacing defective product batches.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Light bleed. Yellow screen. Laggy UI. Chafing edges. Dead pixels. Runs hot. Battery capacity. Only lasts 2 hours. BT and WiFi drops. Won't connect.

And. .........

MY APPLE WATCH IS BENT!!!!

It's alllll coming. Tis the life.

13. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

Exploding batteries! That'd be fun, with a watch.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The Watch needs to get delivered soon because this forum has been taking a nose dive lately.

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I'll worry about that bridge when I cross it. ;)

16. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I'm definitely running some watch-evac drills when I get mine. Now to debate which band is easier to shed in an emergency.

17. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I have been reading it and never been worried. I read all times about buggs and stuff on iOS and problems wth iPhones. Still enjoyng my iPhone 6 more and more with every day. I have learn to ignore most of the crys around here.

18. Angelgrant macrumors newbie

I believe the :apple:watch is made by Quanta. If you do a little research you will see that the defect rate is pretty high. Presumably, these are caught and corrected prior to being packaged. Quanta also "borrowed" some 3000 Foxconn employees to speed up production this spring.

19. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I wasn't until this post. I have no doubt Apple would replace any that have a defect, but it does probably mean you'll be waiting until july for that replacement

20. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Apple tends to have white box stock for replacing defective hardware at launches. They come in the same box as their refurbs do, but they're just new stock set aside for any potential warranty issues.

21. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Ah didn't realize it wasn't Foxconn making them. I think what you're referring to is the product yield rate meaning the percentage of product that makes or through the manufacturing process and conforms to specifications. Defects caught during processing are still waste (muda) and could affect how many people get watches at first but wouldn't result in receiving a "defective" watch. This same logic could be at the component level as well (like the displays) which would result in a supply chain bottle neck.

A defective watch is an escape defect which is, by definition, something not caught systemically by the CM or Apple (there are usually inspection schemes used with a statistical Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) that defines how many defects you will allow to pass in a given sampling program for a certain type of defect). So, in short I worry about product yield levels but not actually receiving a defective/non-functional watch.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

Production doesn't occur faster just because there is a backlog of orders. Nor will future slow down. It takes as long as it takes to make a watch. That might change in the future due to production efficiencies, but if anything will probably decrease.

23. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If anyone can find a defect it will be one of the loyal fans who return 5-6 devices each release till they find one that is acceptable.

No doubt we will hear what these "defects" are on the forum.

24. sam223 macrumors member

Don't worry. That is why early adopters are for. To find and fix any possible defects so that "us" June delivery buyers will get a perfect watch.

25. docprego macrumors 65816

The point is not lost on me. However OLED screens do not ever exhibit light bleed because they are not backlit. This is one worry to scratch off the list.