Anyone Else

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macman45, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Using the AVG beta antivirus for mac? I don't know why I installed it, but it does find the odd gremlin and has a pretty good email shield which is what you want really.

It's free, at least whilst in beta....probably OTT but may well be a sign of things to come. Norton also have a Mac beta AV available too.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

FYI Norton/Symantec should never be used on any OS, its worthless because it doesn't find anything or if it does it doesn't do anything about it most of the time. I've spent hours at work on the phone with Symantec (who makes Norton) asking why and have received nothing but run around. Horrid software.

And, as GJJ Studios said there is no need on Mac.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

5. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

It's also a pain to completely uninstall!

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True

I know we are not prone to virus related infections, but it does filter out email pretty well....Might remove it as it pops up a silly window every time Thunderbird checks for mail.