Anyone Else's Apple In The Menu Bar Change Color?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stuckinstuff, Oct 29, 2008.

1. stuckinstuff macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. No I AM NOT looking to mod the apple logo in my menu bar. My question is this: Why does my apple logo change color from time to time? I have seen it Red/Orange, blue, white/grey, and traditional black. Why is it doing this? I have never seen it before. No I haven't changed backgrounds/themes. It isn't all the time, infact I am not sure if it is related to any specific user intervention. I am just curious as to why it may be doing this. I've googled and only founds ways to hack it. NO I am not on hallucinogens. I thought it was related to the Apple Software update, indicating I had new updates, but this was disproven today when it was Red and I checked for updates.

Any ideas?

2. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

It changes depending on Steve Jobs' mood. :p

Honestly I have no idea, but I'm sure there''s a reason.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've never heard of that happening. Any chance you could get some screenshots?

4. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Like the rest of the menu bar, it's semi-transparent.

5. stuckinstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

I already stated that it isn't due to my background/transparency. I just recently looked up the hotkeys for screenshots and the next time i see it happen I will hotkey it. When I opened my HD to get to the grab app it went away, it seems as if my computer idles for a while it occurs more often.

I'll try to nab a screen of it. Only thing I can think of was that I started using OnyX and MacJanitor a few days ago, but I didn't alter any appearance options....

6. kolax macrumors G3

You must have some 3rd party application providing themes or something that you maybe forgot about/didn't know was there.

The Apple logo won't change colour by itself. It's been blue from 10.0 to 10.4. Now, since 10.5 Leopard, it is black.

7. bigwaggs7 macrumors newbie

i also am having the same problem with my apple on my menubar changing colors. it has been multiple colors and they are always fading into another, never one solid color. it only happens when the menubar is set to transparent and there is no rhyme or reason to it. any ideas?

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-377277.html has some interesting historical discussion about the "transparency" -- the current implementation *seems to be* a blurred strip of the desktop, rather than true transparency. I'll speculate (read "don't know for sure") this may be the reason for the colors you see. I haven't seen an example of how strong the color effects are that you are experiencing.

9. razor-sex macrumors member

I have the same problem!

I have had this problem now for about 3 months. I have no software that should effect the menu bar. As i write it is black to white from left to right. I Have never come across this before.

Attached Files:

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Looks pretty cool to me. You sure this is not a software MOD?

11. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It looks like it could be an offset bug for a background bitmap mask that undergirds the menubar or the apple icon and prevents the transparency from happening.

12. razor-sex macrumors member

No MOD

Guys I have no software that will effect it :(

It kind of growing on me any way :p

Wonder if Apple know about it?

Must be a way of turning it into some sort of software so ppl can change it :D

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Set your appearance to 'graphite' and then switch it back and it may clear it. It may also destroy the universe. :p

14. razor-sex macrumors member

Thanks but tried.

I tried that no luck. I also Changed the menu bar appearance it still happens when it is not on transparent.

15. newmacnooby macrumors regular

16. davmanypsp macrumors newbie

Mine too

Mine too. This is the normal state:

[​IMG][/IMG]

And this is what it looks after a while, sometimes a couple hours:

[​IMG][/IMG]

Mine is a Mac Pro, with just 1 graphic card (so is not related to the canhe from primary to secondary card), and i never have installed any modding software.

Maybe is related to temperature, cpu load, available ram or disk usage?

I'm pretty sure this IS NOT A BUG.

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Go into System Preferences->Desktop & ScreenSaver pane and turn off Translucent menu bar to see if that fixes the changing icon.

18. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Thank you so much for this!
    For years, my :apple: would change from all black to half black/half white, from the bottom of the apple to the top. I had no idea why or even if it was "normal". Now it's all black as it should be.