Anyone else's Apple TV remote dying?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Idgit, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

My Apple TV 2's remote is getting weaker and flakier. It has a new battery in it, but its range has shortened considerably. I have to be within 6 feet of the Apple TV for the clicks to register. Also, the vertical range in which it is effective is now very small, about 2 feet.

What could possibly be failing in the remote's innards? It's almost as if the infrared transmitter is weakening.

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Can't answer your question, but mine seems to be weaker now over when I got it a year or more ago. Wonder if anyone knows what is the Remote range anyway ? I have my Apple TV placed around 12 feet away from my chair (New battery) and it takes a few presses in order it to work. Hope the new Apple TV remote will be better.

Good luck with yours

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

No problems with the remote that came with my ATV2 or when I use the plastic white remote that came with my 2008 black MacBook. I did replace both batteries a few months ago.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

You sure that new battery is actually new? Those coin batteries tend to sit on the store shelves for years and years sometimes; they aren't as widely used as AA or AAA batteries. Its good practice to check the date on the package at the very least.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay...?

Mine died.

New battery didn't fix it.

New remote did.

$20 well spent.

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4