Anyone else's home button stick?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vintageapple, May 18, 2011.

1. vintageapple macrumors member

vintageapple

Not physically stick but the phone wont register that I have clicked it, so I will have to push it like 5 times for it to work. Doing the double click is at times terrible too. But when I restart the phone it works again. Anyone else get this trouble? I dont want to go in to apple and them tell me its a software issue and not help.

2. seble macrumors 6502a

Yes exactly the same problem with mine. had it since I got it, but it has just gotten worse over time. I'm planning to take mine to the apple store this weekend and beg for a replacement :)

Does anyone know if they will let you swap it out for a white version ?

3. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

@vingageapple

If restarting the phone solves the issue definitely it must be software and that's most probably what the Apple store will say.

My suggestion: backup your data and do a factory restore.

@seble:

Does your problem also goes away when restarting? If so that's strange since a hardware problem should be constant.

And no the Apple store won't change your phone for white. There was a thread about that recently.

4. tigress666, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

tigress666 macrumors 68040

I just had mine replaced. It didn't even replicate the problem for the guy. They just accepted me at my word, took it back to do some "software tests" (personally I think it was more like checking the water sensors and he has figured out if he says software tests people give him a lot less crap), said software checked fine, and replaced my phone.

My phone has been doing this for a while honestly and I've held back cause paranoid of getting a worse replacement.

My roommate got sick of hearing me bitch and was like, why don't you get it replaced before the warranty runs out (reminding me of the time limit got my butt in gear, especially cause I was like, well, don't I want some time in case the replacement sux to be able to return it).

Oh, and btw, the replacement has a 90 day warranty (he pointed this out since my phone's warranty ends in june) on it.

And I disagree that it must be software honestly. It could just be intermittant and it happened to work better after you restarted (That's the pain with intermittant issues, it's hard to tell what it is when they only randomly show up). Mine has been intermittant but slowly getting worse (I was actually surprised it was working perfectly fine when I got to the apple store, it was getting more reliable that the button acted glitchy).

@Rebecca: Hardware problems can very well be random. Especially if it is a loose connection or one that's getting worse. Electronics are funny that way (in that it could be hardware but that doesn't mean it always shows up). I had a Saab that would randomly stall out on me (usually when stopped). NOt all the time, just sometimes. It took months before it would repeat the problem for my dad (who owned an Auto repair shop but kept telling me if it wouldn't do the problem for him, he couldn't diagnose it). It finally did, he tapped a relay, and discovered it had a bad fuel pump relay. I also had a BMW that had random problems for a year. My roommate found the problem with a connector that needed to be cleaned, never had the problem again. I had a VCR that would randomly play in black and white (ok, I have no proof on what caused that problem but I won't shop at BEst Buy anymore over how they treated me on the extended warranty on that VCR).

I get lots of bad luck when it comes to intermittant problems (that of course never show up when some one is there to check it out who can help me). And all of them are "hardware" and not software related. In fact it's been my experience that software problems are more reliable to show up than hardware to be honest.

5. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

@Tigress:

Definitely some hardware problems happen randomly. I sometimes have similar luck to you with some random problems but not on my cars, only on electronics. :D

I was thinking the OP had a software problem as he mentioned it dissapeared everytime he reset the iPhone.

I am glad you got your replacement easily.