Anyone else's iPad have light bleed when displaying black?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appleguy123, Apr 7, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I can't get a good picture of these unless it is in the dark because it is really glary otherwise. I only have my iPhone for a pic. These yellow-green distortion only happens when the ipad displays black(like anytime when I play a movie). It is extreme distracting. Do any of you guys have this problem? Should I take it in to Apple? I have quite a few expletives to describe how rude some of the geniuses at my store are. So do you think it'll get replaced?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Mine has the same issue. It also appears to be in the same place as yours judging from the pictures. i have decided I am going to return mine and wait for the 3G, so hopefully my next one wont have it.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Are/were there two spots like this on your iPad too?

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I only see one spot and it is barely noticable so there might be more.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

There's a thread on this already. Folks have gotten their pads replaced with no problem.

6. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I have the same thing in almost identical locations. I upgraded from the 16GB version that didn't have it, so I noticed it right away. I'm going to exchange it this weekend.

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

My screen looks uniform in any light. There is some light bleed in the dark, but that's acceptable for the device.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

CAn you let me know your result? One time my iPhone had that cracking problem and the genius asked me if I was trying to eat my phone. No, he wasn't joking either.

9. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I was the first to report this problem and returned my 64 gig without an issue. I had it in the same location. The one I have now is not noticable like my first. My bro has a 16 gb and his has none. Wondering if 64 has the issue for some reason...Not really sure what that would be the case.

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Mine's only 16gb so that can't be it.

11. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

Mine has light coming from where the bezel meets the screen when viewing at an extreme angle. There are two points of light on the topside when holding landscape with the volume button at top. Does anyone else have this?

12. MT0227 macrumors 6502

I had it on my 64GB. Only a bit along the right side holding it portrait; mainly at the upper right side..2 inches from top. Went back to 5th store in NYC today and got a replacement..... Had it in the same areas but not as bad. I'll keep this one.

13. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I have it on my 64 - but it isn't visible when watching movies or general use so I am not too worried.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

In the whole United States? Wow... :eek:

No problem with light bleed here.:cool:

15. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

i have the light bleed too, three cloudy spots close to the bezel. but really hardly noticable, though, only in absolute darkness.
    I guess I will live with it, don't want to give that little friend away again. who's perfect, anyway.:rolleyes:

16. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

16-Gb only in complete darkness only notice when turning device on from sleep. Under normal use I do not see.

When so many people return for non-issues it jacks our price up on Apple devices.

I dunno, I guess I'm weird, I buy stuff to use and when I use, you can't see it.

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Mine is far more noticeable. Any dark image is like that even in the brightest light. I took those pictures in the dark because the iPhone's can see it because of its light balance.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

So what constitutes an issue? What is an issue to him may not be to you and vise versa.

He returned it due to something bothering him, something that he paid hundreds of dollars for was not up to his standard.

I promise you that apples prices are what they r because of profit, not to absorb return cost. If everyone stopped returning period, and everyone lived with the defects, do u think apple would lower the prices? I don't think so, they would just sit back and enjoy the bigger bottom line.......

19. Macpowered macrumors member

Macpowered

20. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Here we go....."I have high tolerance for issues, so EVERYONE should have high tolerance for issues"

If you saw a nice big bright bunch of lit pixels in the dead center of your screen, would you be thinking about collectively saving us all money, or would you possible exchange it? :confused: And if the replacement had the same thing....would you hold it to save us all money for version 2, or would you exchange that one too?

I agree whole heartedly....

I think my local store had a bad batch when I first got mine because I had to exchange 4 of them due to bleeding light which the "geniuses" completely agreed with me on. Until I got one that was acceptable to me, and the "genius" agreed,

And on a second note....what do you think these returned units end up doing after they get back to Apple? sitting in the big iPad graveyard??? Of course not, they get inspected and fixed to hopefully correct specs and re-sold or used as replacements for those that exchange their units.

21. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Then why do you have an ipad?

22. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

I have a small bit of light bleed on the right top of my ipad, however it is only small and only noticeable if i really look for it. So i'm not really arsed.

23. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

You both missed my point. But perhaps I didn't make it clear. I see thread after thread where some basement dweller obsessed over the tiniest blemish or perceived flaw, only to return 4 copies to get it right. If you have a legitimate issue, return. If you have a scratch on the back Apple logo, or if you get in a darkroom and notice one pixel is off color then ... And, we all pay for every return.

24. xraytech macrumors 68020

I do, but it does not bother me. Mainly because I don't make it a point to view "Just a black screen."

You're effing kidding right?!?

I use my iPad like a normal person; surf the web, play games, read & send e-mail, take notes, read books, watch movies, listen to music & close to everything I would do on my MBP.

25. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Just out of curiosity....based on this logic, how have prices gone down on iPods and iPhones over the past few years? :confused:

All goes by market analysis. As more competing product develops, expect the prices to go down, they are aggressive now....see how much MORE aggressive pricing will be 2 years from now when you have Android pads, Blackberry Pads, WebOS Pads, etc......regardless of how many returns they get back.