Anyone else's rMBP audio crackling/popping/distorting through the speakers randomly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entraik, Aug 21, 2012.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

Basically, I just installed Mountain Lion again thinking the problem would go away and it did for a while.... but it just came back. Basically everything was working fine for a day.. but now suddenly.. the audio pops/crackles/distorts randomly every 30 sec or so when playing any kind of audio through the speakers (whether via video, itunes, etc..).

I know it's not a hardware problem as the problem completely goes away when I disable 'Automatic Graphic Switching' in energy saver preferences (but I prefer not to disable this as battery drains faster..). For some reason the graphics switching is causing audio crackles and pops. Anyone else having this issue and found a better fix?

2. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Yes mine does it on integrated but not dedicated GPU.

It also does it if i play a song on Itunes whilst browsing the internet.
    However, It doesn't seem to do it when not browsing and safari is closed.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

um how are you determining that its not a hardware problem? if anything, what you just described sounds exactly like a hardware problem.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Just two of the five we have at the office do it. But they were replaced because of faulty displays. The new ones are fine. I'm sure that by next year Apple will have worked out the hardware issues with this new model.

5. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

because like i said... disabling 'automatic graphic switching' makes the issue completely disappear. That to me makes it software related.

Also, the issue doesn't occur in bootcamp whatsoever..

6. Plastonick macrumors newbie

rMBP audio crackling

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing within the last few weeks and as mentioned above; disabling Automatic Graphics Switching does seem to stop the crackling, and downloading whilst playing audio (with Automatic Graphics Switching checked) seems to reproduce the crackling most often. I've gone through Google a little but can't find anything else on this subject, is there a fix? Will there be one, should I go into an Apple Store (something I'd rather not have to do, it's a journey)?