Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
So I just picked up a SR Macbook, and it seems like the fans are WAY louder than my 2.0 C2D blackbook? Even with the fans on high, my blackbook never got THIS loud; my new Macbook feels like its almost vibrating, the fans are running so hard. And they're running constantly, even when I'm doing something as simple as running Safari and iTunes.

Is it just me?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Mine are pretty loud. When they rev up they get very very loud. I might do something about it when I can be bothered.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Mine's pretty quiet most of the time, say when just doing mundane stuff like browsing/e-mails. Gets quite loud when the fans hit 6000rpm during Warcraft or other CPU intensive apps.

michail

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
My Macbook is most of the time quite. Only when I do some intensive work that needs lots of CPU the fans get louder, but that is normal.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Mine's pretty quiet most of the time, say when just doing mundane stuff like browsing/e-mails. Gets quite loud when the fans hit 6000rpm during Warcraft or other CPU intensive apps.

u could always take the battery out while gaming :p. run it off the mains. it really does keep it cool

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
u could always take the battery out while gaming :p. run it off the mains. it really does keep it cool

IIRC Apple lowers the CPU speed when you remove the battery. It has something to do with the amount of power the mains provide isn't always enough to handle a higher load. So his programs would run slower.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
IIRC Apple lowers the CPU speed when you remove the battery. It has something to do with the amount of power the mains provide isn't always enough to handle a higher load. So his programs would run slower.

:eek:

The fan can get loud, but a good pair of headphones will block everything else out ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

yes i am aware of that. it clocks it back to 1ghz because of the lack of power (60watt isnt enough)

for gaming i expect that it would be ok, i never noticed a slow down while folding and doing everything else i normally do.

JSK1121

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
My fans never go above 1800 RPM, even when the machine is really hot. That can't be good I wouldn't think.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
I have smcfancontrol installed on my 2.6ghz MBP, simply because I rather have the fans speed up and be a bit noisy then have the innards of my new laptop be burnt to a crisp. If they go above 2500 they are really audible. however, the normal 1850rpm setting is pretty much whisper quiet. That said, when i turn on spaces and play WoW with itunes and Firefox, the temp goes to around 175ish and the fans get around 5400rpm!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.