Anyone else's watch locking for no reason lately?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by illiniry, Oct 5, 2015.

1. illiniry macrumors member

illiniry

It must be something new with either watch os2 or ios 9?? It never used to do this before but now it will require me to enter my passcode for no reason once in awhile. Anyone know what causes this?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Loose band will make the watch lock if it loses contact with your skin.

3. illiniry thread starter macrumors member

illiniry

Got it, thanks for the info. I wonder if others have complained about the band loosening? I have noticed that it has loosened a bit since I got it.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wear my link bracelet one index finger loose just fine without locking. It'd have to be looser than that. However, I've had it lock for no reason on wOS 1 and iOS 8, which is remedied by restarting, presumably due to a bug.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

My watch on a link bracelet started locking constantly right around the release of OS2. I assumed it was a bug in the update.

The culprit turned out to be that it's getting cooler outside. My wrist was shrinking a bit in the cooler, drier air, and a previously unworn long sleeve cuff was also sneaking underneath the watch, breaking the connection.

I have since switched back to the sport band and no longer have lock issues.

Looks like the look no bracelet is a summer only option for me.

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I've noticed this happened to me in the past with my Apple Watch Sport, but I think it was because I had the watch too loose on my wrist. I've since tightened it by one notch (I can still fit a finger underneath the band comfortably) and the locking issue hasn't come up for me since.

7. mchlwise macrumors member

mchlwise

It can also happen when the sun hits your arm just right.

If enough sunlight gets under the watch, it thinks you aren't wearing it any more.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Mine never did this on WOS 1. It does it all the time on WOS 2. It is extremely annoying to have my space grey sport lock on me at inopportune times! I always wear my black sport band on the 4th hole. Yes I've lost a little weight but I can still not quite get a finger under the band when I'm wearing it and I can't believe I would have to wear it like a tourniquet to prevent it from locking! :eek: BTW, I just moved it to the third hole and it's not quite as comfortable but let's see if that helps.

9. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Mine seems to do this once in a while as well. Not often enough to be a real problem yet though. Didn't notice it before OS2 either

10. Kitkat52, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

Kitkat52 macrumors member

Kitkat52

Mine did this - I called Apple Care and we did a hard reset. Worked for a couple of days and then asked me for my passcode constantly - regardless of additional hard resets. I returned and exchanged the watch and my new watch works like a charm. And only asks for the passcode when off my wrist. As it should.