Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Is anyone using an OpenID provider, and does anyone reckon it has any mileage or is it a case of too many eggs in one basket and a bit scary ?

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I found this post an hour or two ago and have spent a bit of time researching it. I have to conclude that I really like the idea and may look further into using it myself. As a web developer, this is something I may also need to know about in the future, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

:)

On a related note, what do you think of the Pavatar? Looks like its kinda singing the same tune - giving the power back to the users and not storing everything centralised.

This is a direction I am very excited to see develop, as more sites support these mechanisms and we move away slowly from the tradition username/password per service paradigm.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Without a doubt! I have also started to include it on my project sites. My joke site (listed in my sig) is still being ported to accept it. But, my newer URL verification site does have it. http://linkped.com

I think OpenID is a great idea that will help a lot of people out. There are some issues with "all your eggs in 1 basket". I won't use it for anything sensitive (like banking, purchases, etc). However, anything else is great.

You are going to start seeing it on a lot of websites now that some big companies are embracing it. I hear Digg and Wikipedia are going to have it in a few months.

Maybe some day MR will use it as well :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.